The purpose of Stephen F. Austin State University's First Year Experience Program (FYE) is to provide first year students with a comprehensive university experience. The FYE Program includes a variety of both academic and non-academic support services designed to help first year students make a successful transition into our university life. SFA truly values students, and the FYE program is designed to assist new students in their personal, academic, and social transition to SFA. This website will provide a comprehensive listing of the resources necessary to aid in the transition from high school to college life at SFA.
Your transition to SFA:
After you have attended Orientation and registered for classes, which includes SFA 101, the following steps will aid in your transition:
- Log on to mySFA to check emails, campus announcements and billing information.
- Attend Jack Camp to learn more about SFA history and traditions, meet new friends, and have fun!
- Check out valuable information on the SFA 101 Web site.
- Visit Nacogdoches to learn more about your community!
- Learn information about Disability Services for students.
- Learn how to find a job on-campus.
- Review the differences between high school and college.
Your transition to residence life:
- Before you pack, take a look at what is ALLOWED in the residence halls.
- Check out Dining Services.
- If you choose to park on campus, you MUST have a parking permit.
- Review tips to avoid roommate issues.
Your transition to academic success:
- Explore academic programs, select your major and/or change your major.
- Review the campus drop policy.
- Review the Student Conduct Code.
- Make sure your computer is SFA network ready.
- Register for free peer mentoring and tutoring through the AARC and utilize the Library.
- Taking online classes? Familiarize yourself with Desire2Learn.
Your transition to campus life:
- Attend Jacks Back Weeks of Welcome Activities.
- Become familiar with the services provided by University Police.
- Sign up to receive Campus Alert messages in mySFA.
- Get involved! Explore more than 200 student organizations through the Involvement Center.
- Stay Fit! Work out in our state-of-the-art Student Recreation Center.
- Utilize Counseling and Career Services to explore potential careers and receive support.
- Learn about SFA's history and traditions.
- Support SFA Athletics and participate in Spirit Fridays.