Fashion merchandising involves all of the activities necessary to provide customers with the fashion apparel and accessories they want to buy, when and where they want it, and at prices they can afford and are willing to pay. This involves making plans, understanding the customer, developing or selecting merchandise, and promoting and selling goods to the customer for the ultimate purpose of making a profit. Fashion merchandise includes apparel and accessories for women, men and children, as well as home fashions, cosmetics and fragrances.
SFA offers a four-year degree program with a major in fashion merchandising. Completion of the program includes:
- general education courses,
- human sciences core courses,
- fashion merchandising courses and
- a minor (business or art recommended).
- Variety of laboratory facilities
- Ambassador program
- Historical costume collection
- Alumni and interns employed worldwide:
- New York City, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Montana, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Japan, and Italy
- National award winners in food, nutrition and dietetics, fashion merchandising and hospitality.
- State and regional award winners in fashion merchandising, interior design, and food, nutrition and dietetics.
- Master of Science
- Head Start Completer Program
Each of the program areas has a club or professional organization. These organizations give students the opportunity to travel to professional events nationwide and to participate in a variety of local activities. Human sciences students also are involved in campus-wide government, social and athletic activities.
The School of Human Sciences offers the largest number of scholarships of any department on campus. Please visit our Website at www.sfasu.edu/hms/department/scholarships.htm to view a list of available scholarships.
For more information, contact the School of Human Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org or 936.468.4502.