Nacogdoches Naturally announces spring and summer Family Outdoor Adventures schedule
January 12, 2012 - SFA Public Affairs
Mark your calendar for the upcoming 2012 Family Fun Days planned through Nacogdoches Naturally, an outdoor education component of the Stephen F. Austin State University Gardens.
Kicking off the spring, SFA Nacogdoches Naturally will participate in Kid Fish from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 21, at Lakeside Park, 4800 Pearl St. The event is organized by The City of Nacogdoches Parks and Recreation Department. Other supporting facilitators include Coastal Conservation Association, Doug James Guide Service, Fish Lake Nac, General Mills, Nacogdoches Bass Club, Head Start, Suddenlink and SFA.
Drawings for prizes will be held throughout the day, and major fishing prizes for children 8 and younger and 9 to16 will be awarded at the end of the day. Nacogdoches Naturally will be demonstrating outdoor cooking as well as offering Junior Angler education through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Angler Education program. The city-wide event is free and open to the public. For more information about the Parks and Recreation event, contact Tracy Rucker at (936) 559-2960.
"We have numerous exciting outdoor weekend programs scheduled beginning in January and extending into July," said Kerry Lemon, project director of Nacogdoches Naturally. "These events offer opportunities for families to experience a variety of outdoor recreational activities. We encourage families to take advantage of our programming and the chance to visit some of the state parks and beautiful, natural areas in East Texas."
2012 Spring/Summer Calendar, Nacogdoches Naturally-Family Outdoor Adventures
- Jan. 21: Kid Fish - Trout Fishing Event. Sponsored by Nacogdoches Parks and Recreation. 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Meet at Lakeside Park, 4800 Pearl St. Free.
- Feb. 11: Day trip to Mission Tejas State Park. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. $5 per family.
- March 3: Day trip to Lake Sam Rayburn Nature Center. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Caney Creek Recreation Area. $5 per family.
- March 31: Day trip to Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Athens. $5 per family.
- April 21: SFA Garden Gala Plant Sale and Earth Day Event. Plant Sale,9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Earth Day,10 a.m. to 2 p.m., SFA Pineywoods Native Plant Center. Free.
- April 28 and 29, 2012: Texas Outdoor Family Weekend. 8 a.m. Saturday to 2 p.m. Sunday, Tyler State Park. $5 per family for trip with some extra food expenses for the weekend.
- May 12, 2012: Day trip to Red Hills Lake Recreation Area. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sabine National Forest. $5 per family
- July 14, 2012: Picnic and water fun at Lake Nacogdoches. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Meet at West Park Lake Nacogdoches. (Location is subject to change, depending on water conditions at the lake.) $5 per family.
All field trips will leave from the SFA Pineywoods Native Plant Center and caravan to the site unless otherwise noted. For further information or to register, contact Kerry Lemon at (936) 468-1832 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.