Taiwanese musicians to perform at SFA
November 8, 2013 - Robbie Goodrich
NACOGDOCHES, Texas - "When East Meets West: An Evening of Taiwanese and Western Music" will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 12, in Cole Concert Hall on the Stephen F. Austin State University campus.
The music group from Tunghai University (Taiwan) will perform works by various Taiwanese composers. With three voice professors, one cello professor and four piano professors from Tunghai University, the ensemble will perform different types of solo and duet presentations. Works will range from Taiwanese folk songs to contemporary music pieces.
Officials with Tunghai University are interested in forming partnerships with American universities, according to Dr. Deborah Dalton, associate professor of voice at SFA.
Performers will include:
- Dr. Chia-huei Ai, piano soloist, performer with orchestra, chamber musician, accompanist, as well as a judge of national and international piano competitions throughout Taiwan and in the United States.
- Dr. Tzong-kai Kuo, who has an extensive and broad background in piano, conducting, violin, electronic organ, clarinet, voice and music education.
- Professor Szu-Chao Chen, opera director at Tunghai University and graduate of Conservatorio di Musica Giuseppe Verdi di Milano in Italia.
- Dr. Thomas Linde, chairman of the music department, Tunghai University, active throughout Taiwan and abroad as a piano teacher, soloist, performer with orchestra, chamber musician and accompanist.
- Dr. Yi-Lin Hsu, studied vocal performance at the University of Michigan and has toured in the United States, Canada, Italy, Holland, Belgium, France, the Philippines, Japan, Korea, South Africa, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong, the People's Republic of China, Australia and New Zealand.
- Associate Professor Syou-fen Lee, a member of the Republic of China Vocalist Association, mainly teaching voice, vocal literature and French diction at Tunghai University.
- Associate Professor Arkadi Kuchynski, former principal cellist for the State Chamber Orchestra of Belarus, performing extensively in Europe, including Germany, Finland, France, Norway, Spain, Portugal and Denmark.
- Lecturer Min-Hwa Chen, teaches applied and collaborative piano at Tunghai University and performs as both a chamber musician and a vocal accompanist.
Admission to the concert is free.
Cole Concert Hall is located in the Wright Music Building, 2210 Alumni Drive.
For additional information, contact the SFA School of Music office at (936) 468-4602.