The Family and Consumer Sciences program is designed with two tracks.
- Family and Consumer Sciences - This major prepares students for broad-based employment in the field of family and consumer sciences and for effective individual and family living. A minor in a supporting area is required. Suggested minors may include business, communications, art, journalism or foreign language.
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education with Teacher Certification (for high school). This major prepares students to teach at the high school level. There are several types of high school family and consumer sciences programs. The program for teaching is designed to meet the certification requirements for the State of Texas. To become fully certified students must complete the degree program and pass the state exam.
There are three teaching certifications in Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS):
- FCS Composite (Certificate to teach all FCS high school courses)
- FCS with Hospitality and Food Science (Certified to teach food, nutrition, and hospitality courses)
- FCS with Human Development and Family Studies (Certified to teach child development, parenting, and family courses)
FCS is one of the 10 Best Degrees for Finding A Job (published in Fall 2013)
Contact: Nancy Shepherd, PhD, Assistant Professor, Program Coordinator Family and Consumer Sciences For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 936-468-1413