“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” – Etienne de Grellet, Quaker Missionary
What drew you to the higher education world?
Even as a teacher in the public school setting, I knew I wanted to be a teacher of teachers. That would be possible with a doctorate degree, which was begun in 2002. Since my appointment as an assistant professor in 2006, I have never regretted my decision to assist pre-service teachers and principals on their quest to improve their academic standing.
What do you enjoy most about your role at SFA?
After earning two degrees from SFA, I earned my doctorate with the hopes of returning to SFA as a faculty member. As a newly appointed associate provost for academic affairs, I have been able to see some of the behind-the-scenes actions that are taking place and meet some amazing people who care deeply for SFA.
What do you hope students gain from SFA?
First and foremost, an education that will make them competitive in any market. I would also hope our students become a part of the SFA family that begins in their freshman year and continues even after graduation. SFA is a university like many other higher institutions of learning, but we take special care in fulfilling our responsibility to ensure our students stand out in their moral and educational behaviors.
What are you passionate about outside of your role at SFA?
Outside of SFA, my passion centers on family, especially my grandchildren. Aside from family, I am equally passionate about social justice and democratic behaviors that determine a person’s moral compass. I cannot and will not abide mistreatment of others either through words or actions.
Education and Experience
- Associate Provost for Academic Affairs
SFA (2016 – present)
- Associate Dean for the Perkins College of Education
SFA (2014 – 2016)
- Associate Professor of Educational Leadership
SFA (2012 – 2014)
- Assistant Professor of Educational Leadership
SFA (2006 – 2012)
- Adjunct Professor of Educational Leadership
SFA (2004 – 2006)
- Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership
Sam Houston State University
- Master of Education in Mid-Management
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
Awards / Achievements
- Recipient, American Association of University Women Student Support Award (April 2015)
- Recipient, Phi Delta Kappa, Educator of the Year (April 2012)
- Inductee, Delta Kappa Gamma Society International (September 2010)
- Recipient, James I. Perkins College of Education Teaching Excellence Award (April 2010)
- Recipient, SFASU Department of Secondary Education and Educational Leadership, Teaching Excellence Award (April 2010)