Steve Westbrook, Ed.D.
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” – W.B. Yeats
What drew you to the higher education world?
The transformation I underwent as an undergraduate student was so positive and striking that I knew this experience was one I wanted to help others discover. The impact we can have on the future when we do our job right can literally change lives. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of something like that?
What do you enjoy most about your role at SFA?
In my current role as interim president I am able to draw upon my years of experience here at SFA to help our university navigate the changing landscape of higher education while helping bring stability during the change in leadership at our university. While I have a strong foundation in the past accomplishments of this institution, I am most energized about what the future holds as we move forward from this point. To be able to help guide SFA through the inevitable changes and future successes we will experience together is what I enjoy most!
What do you hope students gain from SFA?
Our collective overarching goal at SFA is to provide transformative experiences for our students. My hope is that our students fully engage in these experiences and graduate from SFA prepared for what awaits them during the rest of their lives.
What are you passionate about outside of your role at SFA?
One of the best parts of my job is the countless activities and events in which I get to participate. While that limits the time I have outside of my SFA role, I try to fill any free time traveling with my family. My wife and sons keep me well grounded!
Education and Experience
- Interim President
Stephen F. Austin State University(Jan. 2, 2019-present)
- Acting President
Stephen F. Austin State University (Oct. 30, 2018-Jan. 1, 2019)
- Vice President, University Affairs
Stephen F. Austin State University (2007-present)
- Executive Director, Student Affairs
Stephen F. Austin State University (2005-2007)
- Director, Student Affairs
Stephen F. Austin State University (2001-2005)
- Director, Student Activities
Stephen F. Austin State University (1989-2001)
- Coordinator, University Center Programs
Stephen F. Austin State University (1985-1989)
- Program Advisor, University Center
Stephen F. Austin State University (1981-1985)
- Doctor of Education
Texas A&M University-Commerce (2010)
- Master of Education
Stephen F. Austin State University (1989)
- Bachelor of Arts
Stephen F. Austin State University (1981)
Awards and achievements
- Chair, Board of Trustees - National Association for Campus Activities Foundation (2018-19)
- Member, Board of Trustees, National Association for Campus Activities Foundation (2016-20)
- Chair, Texas Council of Chief Student Affairs Officers (TCCSAO) (2015-17)
- Co-Chair, SFA Institutional Strategic Planning Team (Envision SFA) (2014-15)
- University Project Management Executive Committee (2012-present)
- Legislative Committee Chair, Texas Council of Student Services Vice Presidents (COSS|VP) (2011-13)
- Founder’s Award - National Association for Campus Activities (2008)