Bright futures in communications
What can you do with a degree in mass communication? Our graduates have launched successful careers in a variety of organizations, from local and national TV news stations and sports teams to utility companies and more.
Check out what some of our graduates are doing with their degrees.
Chris Hrubesh, Class of ‘88
During his 25-year career with CNN, Chris has traveled the world and covered important historical events such as the O.J. Simpson trial, the Gulf War, 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina.
Robert Blackwell, Class of ‘76
Coaching Video Director, Dallas Cowboys
Robert Blackwell arrived at SFA just as we were launching our mass communications program. During his time at SFA, Robert worked closely with faculty members on a variety of filmmaking projects, including a cross-country trip to shoot footage of Native American archaeological sites.
After he earned his degree from SFA, Robert moved to Dallas to launch his photography career. Soon, he was hired to film local high school and college basketball and football games, and he joined the Dallas Cowboys coaching film department in 1981.
Jerome Davis, Class of ‘62
Broadcast Journalist and Texas Radio Hall of Fame Inductee
Jerome Davis worked his way through high school and college as a disc jockey on local radio stations – including a stint as “Rockin’ Richard” at an AM station in Nacogdoches. After he graduated from SFA, Jerome worked as a radio and television news broadcaster. He covered some of the most important historical events of the 1960s, reporting on everything from the civil rights movement to anti-war protests to the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
Jerome was inducted into the Texas Radio Hall of Fame in July of 2015. Now retired, he is an active volunteer with KERA TV-13, Dallas’ PBS affiliate.
Other notable alumni
- Olivia Ross, senior communications specialist, CenterPoint Energy, Class of ‘09
- Kara Sewell, morning anchor, Fox 19 (Cincinnati, Ohio), Class of ‘05
- Bridget Flanagan, executive producer, MSNBC, Class of ‘02
- Anthony McLemore, segment director/producer for The Dr. Phil Show, Class of ‘95
- Kelvin Davis, vice president, CNN Sales and Affiliate Relations, Class of ‘88
- Jeff Pownall, managing editor, KLTV-TV and KTRE-TV (Tyler, Texas), Class of ‘85
- Pat Stacey, vice president and general manager, KLTV-TV and KTRE-TV (Tyler, Texas), Class of ‘85
- Brad Streit, vice president, Raycom Media, Class of ‘79