Preparing you to meet global challenges
One of the "bedrock" principles of geology is that “the present is the key to the past” – in other words, physical processes acting today are the same as those in the past. We might add that geology is also the key to the future. The goal of geology is to understand the past, present and future behavior of the whole Earth system, from the friendly domains of life on the surface to the magnetic dynamo of the planet’s molten core.
In the SFA Department of Geology, our mission is to teach you to use this knowledge to meet some of our most fundamental societal challenges:
- Providing sufficient natural resources
- Coping with geologic hazards
- Preventing and repairing environmental damage
- Anticipating and adjusting to global environmental changes
As a geology student, you’ll have opportunities to learn both in and out of a classroom, conduct research alongside your professors and join student organizations that interact with industry leaders.
A Message from the Department Chair, Dr. Wesley Brown
Welcome to the Department of Geology at Stephen F. Austin State University. The goal of our department is to provide students with an understanding of the past, present and future behavior of the whole Earth system. Studies and training are designed to:
- Give students an understanding of the methods of science and the fundamentals of Earth science as they relate to the physical environment and our dependence on Earth resources such as minerals, rocks, fuels and water.
- Give prospective science students the fundamentals of geology as a foundation for other science studies.
- Provide training in geology and related Earth sciences as an area of specialization for prospective elementary and secondary school teachers.
- Provide geology majors with a broad foundation in geology for future professional work or graduate study.
Our qualified faculty and staff are very committed to achieving these goals. We are highly engaged in teaching and research with our graduate and undergraduate students.
You are welcome to explore all our department has to offer. If you have questions regarding our degrees, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Dr. Wesley Brown, Professor
Academic programs and areas of study
SFA offers two primary undergraduate course tracks toward a bachelor’s degree in geology, as well as a master’s program for graduate studies.
- Bachelor of Science in Geology – General Geology
- Bachelor of Science in Geology – Environmental Geology
- Master of Science in Geology