Students seeking admission should make every effort to complete the Admission
Procedure for Mature Students as soon as possible. An Undergraduate
Application for Admission may be submitted as early as one year prior
Admission Policy for Mature Students
Applicants who have not attended high school for at least five years or have
not attended college for an extended period of time may apply for mature student
admission. Eligibility for admission will be based on their ability to succeed
at SFA utilizing their individual educational, work, and personal life experiences.
Military service veterans with honorable or general discharges are eligible
to apply for mature student admission. Applicants who did not graduate from
high school are required to submit official GED (General Educational Development
State of Texas Uniformed Admission Standards
Per Texas state law, Uniform Admissions Policy, TEC 51.803-51.809 requires that all students must meet one of the following college readiness standards in order to be eligible to be considered for admission at a Texas Four-year Public Institution.
- Successfully complete the recommended or advanced high school program or complete the portion of the program that was available to them; or
- Successfully complete a curriculum that is equivalent in content and rigor to the recommended or advanced high school program at a high school that is exempt from offering such programs; or
- Satisfy the College Readiness Benchmarks on the SAT or ACT assessment
- SAT – 1500 out of 2400 (this score requirement includes writing)
- ACT – 18 English, 21 Reading, 22 Mathematics and 24 Science
Admission Procedure for Mature Students (Admissions Checklist):
- Submit a $45 non-refundable application fee, with your application.
- An official high school transcript with the numerical class rank indicated
following high school graduation. Applicants must send high school transcripts
whether or not student graduated from high school.
- A copy of GED scores (if not a high school graduate).
- An official college transcript from all educational institutions attended
regardless of whether the credit was earned or is desired.
- A copy of the DD-214 (if a military service veteran).
- Additional documentation indicating probability of success in college
may be required.
- Interview with an SFA Admissions Counselor.
Submit the above items to the SFA Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 13051 SFA
Station, Nacogdoches, Texas 75962
Additional Procedures for Mature Students:
- Prospective students are encouraged to Visit SFA!
- All students are subject to all applicable Texas Success Initiative requirements.
- SFA accepts credit with appropriate scores through CLEP and College Board Advanced Placement.
- Students with military experience should refer to the Veteran Affairs coordinator..
- All students must submit the Immunization Record to the Office of Admissions prior to being able to register for classes.
- Students are advised to contact the Residence Life Department regarding SFA's policy on living in Residence Halls.
Top of page