Out-of-State Student Information

The University is guided by state law in determining the resident status of students. Sections 54.001-54.209 of the Texas Education Code provide in part as follows:

  • In essence, the student who has not resided in Texas for 12 months immediately preceding the student's registration into the University will be classified as nonresident.
  • A nonresident teaching/research assistant employed at least half-time in a position which relates to his or her degree program shall be entitled to pay the tuition fee of a resident student during the period covered by the assistantship. A nonresident student holding a competitive scholarship of at least $1,000 for the academic year awarded by a scholarship committee of SFA is entitled to pay the tuition fee of a resident student during the period covered by the scholarship.
  • Rules and regulations governing the resident classification of a student shall be available in the Office of Admissions and any student who is uncertain of status should obtain such rules and regulations and seek a determination of status through that office.
  • Individual determinations can be affected by: death or divorce of parents; custody of minor by court order; or active military duty of student or student's parents.
  • Registering under the proper residency classification is the responsibility of the student. If there is any question of his/her right to classification as a resident of Texas, it is his/her obligation to raise the question with the Office of Admissions prior to registration. Application for Texas residency status for in-state tuition purposes must be received no later than 25 days prior to registration. Questionnaires may be secured from the Office of Admissions in Room 206 of the Rusk Building or by contacting the Residency Determination Officer.
  • If a person is initially classified as a nonresident based on information provided through the set of core Residency Questions, the person may request a reclassification by providing the institution with supporting documemtation. Any change made shall apply to the first succeeding semester in which the person is enrolled, if the change is made on or after the census date of that semester. If the change is made prior to the census date, it will apply to the current semester.

For more information contact:

Tanni Kirkland
Residency Determination Officer
Office of Admissions
Box 13051, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3051

Other related links:

Top of page

Become a Student Academics & Research Students Alumni & Friends Faculty & Staff Arts & Athletics A-Z List