Helpful Career Videos
7 Steps to Job Search Success
Seek out employers, do not sit back and wait. Chances are they will not come seek you out. Employers want to see initiative from their candidates. So, show some initiative and SEEK!
- Use SFA Career Services early and often!
- Create a wish list of companies for which you would like to work
- Utilize social media to find and reach out to hiring managers at your target companies
- Start talking to people; don't just submit your applications online, follow up via conversation with a "real" person
- Keep a written record of all the companies you applied for jobs at, when and who you followed up with via phone
- Leverage technology (effective online research tools) in conjuction with your professional documents
- Be informed and realistic; have a solid understanding of your brand (skills, qualities, etc) and sell it well
Visit NACE Job Outlook, to learn more valuable information about job searching.
For more information about job searching, visit our Job Search page.
5 Steps to Finding an Internship
Finding the internship of your dreams will be a cinch if you follow these six steps to success:
- Identify your strengths, interests, motivations, goals, priorities and values
- Research industries, occupations and organizations (O*Net, LinkedIn, company website, informational interviews)
- Create or update professional documents (resume, cover letter, references page)
- Devise an effective internship search strategy (Jobs4Jacks, internship.com, your professional & personal network)
- Execute your internship search and follow up
For in depth information about each of these steps, download the printable document Finding an Internship.
For more information about internships, visit our Lumberjack Internship Program page.