The Lumberjack Internship Program was designed to provide SFA students with experiential education opportunities in the form of internships through collaboration with the campus community and area employers.
Top 7 reasons why YOU should intern!
1. Provide resume-building experiences while applying academic concepts.
2. Increase your transferrable skill sets which in tern increases marketability to employers.
3. Generally facilitate a higher starting salary for full-time employment.
4. Allow exposure to real-world problems and issues not found in textbooks.
5. Increase self-confidence while building professionalism.
6. Offer opportunities to evaluate specific careers prior to committing with full-time employment, a "try before you buy" experience.
7. Help you develop a network of contacts at the same time as providing you with professinals who offer mentoring and feedback.
Questions to consider when pursuing an internship:
- Does your major require an internship to graduate?
- Are you completing this internship for course credit? If so, what are the requirements?
- Will you only be considering paid internships or are you willing to volunteer?
- What semester do you plan on interning?
- Will you be taking classes while completing your internship?
- How many hours per week are you looking to work?
- To what part of the city, state, country or world are you willing to relocate?
- What do you hope to achieve in this opportunity?
Where should I begin my internship search?
We offer Jobs4Jacks, a website where employers seeking SFA students post their internships and full-time job opportunities. Our staff is also available to meet with students individually to assist in their internship search. Call 936.468.3305 to set up an appointment today!
Print the Lumberjack Internship Program Student Guidebook for in-depth information about the topic on this page.