Your Questions Answered!
- When should I refer students to Career Services?
As early as possible! Encourage students to drop by the 3rd floor of the Rusk Building or call 936.468.3305 to schedule an appointment. Even after graduation, SFA alumni are able to utilize Career Services free of charge. See a complete listing of student services on the Faculty and Advisors home page.
- How can I help Career Services?
Talk to the students you see about the services we offer - whether it's in the classroom or advising, your referral can impact a student's career.
• Recommend specific employers or career fields you would like to see recruiting our students
• Share information with us concerning your field of study, related careers and updated information about your department
• Create a Jobs4Jacks faculty account and keep track of who is recruiting on-campus
- How should faculty respond when employers request that you provide names of students for jobs or internship openings?
Career Services is charged by the University to meet EEO/AA guidelines in helping students identify career opportunities. Faculty should be aware that they may be in violation of Federal laws pertaining to EEO/AA should they respond to such requests. Career Services recommends that faculty refer employers to our office to post their opportunities. Should you wish to make student referrals, you may do so as long as the opportunity is also posted on Jobs4Jacks so that ALL qualified candidates have the opportunity to apply.
For more information see the National Association of Colleges and Employers' A Faculty Guide to Ethical and Legal Standards in Student Hiring.
- Can Career Services present to my class or organization?
We'd love to! Simply complete and submit a Presentation Request Form and a Career Services staff member will be in contact with you regarding your presentation
- Who recruits at SFA?
View the Events Calendar for past, present and future recruiters visiting campus to conduct interviews, sponsor workshops, hold information sessions, etc. In addition, you can view the list of registered employers for each Career Fair on Jobs4Jacks.
- Can Career Services aid in selecting a major? A career? Finding a job?
Absolutely! Career coaching, career inventories and career-planning workshops can assist in aiding a participant in academic and career decision-making. The first step is to make an appointment with a Career Coach.
Career Services also assists students and alumni in various ways towards finding a job:
• Jobs4Jacks houses many internship, part-time and full-time postings specifically for SFA students and alumni, as well as requesting to interview with a particular organization.
• Career-related workshops and information sessions are held each semester for students to learn more about professional development, a particular industry, organization or employment opportunities.
• Career fairs are an excellent opportunity for students and alumni to reach out to recruiters for employment purposes.