Stephen F. Austin State University

Academic Advising

Am I required to see an advisor to register?

All freshmen and sophomores (fewer than 60 earned hours) and all first-time transfer students must see an advisor in the department of their major prior to registration. "Undecided" majors are advised in the Rusche Student Services Center in McGee Business Building, Suite 169. All juniors and seniors must be advised at least once per year, or as required by their department. All students are encouraged to meet with an advisor prior to registration every semester, especially the semester prior to the intended graduation semester.

What do I bring to an advising session?

Come prepared to discuss your goals and concerns. Our advisors have access to information for newly admitted freshmen. Make sure all preliminary entrance tests results as well as transfer work (official transcript required) and advanced placement credits are on file with the SFA Admissions Office.

Be prepared to discuss progress in your current schedule of classes and have some idea of what courses you would like to take the next semester. Check for pre-requisites and eligibility for enrollment in these courses. This information is in the University General Bulletin.

Newly admitted transfer students should bring a copy of their transfer evaluation provided by our Office of Admissions. Planning gives the student the opportunity to register at the earliest possible time and have best access to courses and prime sections Schedule an appointment for advising as soon as advising periods are announced. Check your SFA email account and watch for information on the audiovisual boards in the McGee Building regarding the advising/registration process. If you need to cancel or change times, do so as early as possible.

What are "upper division" courses, and when should I take them?

Upper division ("advanced") courses are those numbered 300 and higher. To take an upper division course in the College of Business, you must be classified as a junior or senior (60 or more hours completed) or have department chair permission. The junior/senior requirement applies to all SFA students enrolling in business courses regardless of their major. In addition, business majors should have completed the following courses: ENG 131, 132; MTH 143, 144, 220; ACC 231, 232; BCM 247; ECO 231, 232; CSC 121.

I want to take a course that has a prerequisite. Can I take both courses at the same time?

No. Prerequisites must be completed with a passing grade prior to enrollment in the course in question. Some courses require a particular grade in the prerequisite course(s). For example, MTH 144 requires a "C" in 143, and ENG 132 requires a "C" in 131. Only courses listed as "co-requisite" may be taken simultaneously.