Stephen F. Austin State University


Academic Advising

Am I required to see an advisor to register?

All students in the Nelson Rusche College of Business receive an advising hold on their student account each semester until they have seen an advisor and the hold is lifted. Students in good standing or students on academic probation with a declared major are advised in their respective academic department. "Undecided" business students are advised in the Student Services Center in McGe, Suite 169. Students on Academic Suspension are also advised in the Student Services Center by Laura Turner.

Do I need to make an advising appointment?

To minimize wait time and ensure an advisor has adequate time to meet with you, please schedule an appointment using the MyAdvisor tool in your MySFA account. Once you log in to MySFA, click on the Advising tab. You should see your assigned advisor's contact information and a link to schedule an appointment. Once you click on the link, use the large blue button on the right hand side of the page to schedule with your academic advisor. If you need something specific with a Student Services advisor who may not be your assigned advisor, please call 936.468.4654 or email to schedule an appointment with the appropriate Student Services advisor. Our advisors also see walk-in students every Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00.

What happens during an advising appointment and do I need to prepare?

The main purpose of an advising appointment is for you and an advisor to work together to determine the best schedule of courses for the next semester that meets the requirements and shows progress towards the degree. You should be ready to discuss progress in your current schedule of classes and/or high school work or transfer work if it applies. It is also helpful if you have an idea of what courses you would like to take the next semester. You can view degree and major requirements in the General Bulletin.

In addition to choosing a semester course schedule, academic advisors can help you with many other aspects of your college career should you choose to ask for help. Advisors are knowledgeable in various areas including financial aid, career planning and advice, professional development, and student involvement. Furthermore, advisors can help you find these resources on campus and many others that you need to be successful. In addition, academic advisors can also help with a variety of other challenges and situations that may arise including course withdrawals, advice on difficult classes, returning to academic good standing, and transitioning to a higher education environment to name a few. In short, your academic advising appointment can be as helpful as you need it to be. We are always here to listen and help in any way we can.

Admission and Transfer Work

What must I do to be admitted to the College of Business?

Admission requirements in the College of Business are the same as for admission to the University. Contact the Office of Admissions (936-468-2504) for more information.

To change your major to the College of Business you must have a 2.00 grade point average at SFA.

Where can I find course equivalencies for junior/community courses?

A list of courses and how they transfer from Texas public community colleges is listed on the SFA Registrar's Office website under the "Become a Student" tab at This information is updated each year. If you do not find the course number you have already taken or are interested in taking, please contact the Admissions Data Center at 936-468-4025.

I took a course at a junior college that is similar to a 300 or 400 level course at SFA. Will it count as the SFA course?

No. Courses numbered 300 or 400 level at SFA can only be satisfied by junior or senior courses taken elsewhere. Courses at a junior college are always freshman or sophomore level.

Can I go to a community college and transfer courses back to bring up my SFA grade point average?

No. Community college grades and other transfer courses are not counted in the SFA GPA. Only grades earned at SFA count in the SFA grade point average. However, some courses have grade requirements as pre-requisites and transfer grades are looked at to determine if the pre-requisite grade has been met. Talk with an advisor for more information about this policy.

Dropping and Withdrawing from Classes

What is the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing?

Up until the "last drop date" each semester (usually mid-semester), you can drop a course and receive a grade of "W." The grade will appear on your transcript but will not count in your grade point average (GPA). After the last drop date and up to the last withdrawal date, you cannot drop an individual course. You may withdraw from all of your courses, such as might be necessary due to an extended illness or family emergency. If you withdraw, you will be assigned a grade of "WP" (passing) or "WF" (failing) in each class. A WP is counted the same as a W, but a WF is counted the same as an "F." Stop by the Registrar's Office in the Rusk Building to drop courses or withdraw.

Is there a limit to the number of courses that can be dropped?

A student entering any college beginning Fall 2008 or later is limited to 6 drops, total, during his or her entire college career. A student who withdraws from the University will not have those withdrawals counted as drops.

How does a "WH" (withheld) grade work?

If a student cannot complete the work in a course within the last three weeks of a long semester or the last week of a summer session because of unavoidable circumstances (illness, family emergency, etc.), a "WH" ("withheld") grade may be assigned. The faculty member must complete a "Withheld Grade Form" indicating the work remaining to be done by the student and a due date for completion of the work, which may be no longer than one calendar year from the end of the semester in which the WH grade is assigned. The form must be approved by the respective department chair. As soon as possible (and no later than the date specified on the form), the student should make arrangements with the faculty member to complete the indicated work. Ordinarily, the student does not register for the class again. Instead, the faculty member turns in a grade change when the student has completed the work. If the student does not complete the work by the required date, the grade will automatically be changed to an "F."

Degree Plan and Graduation Requirements

When should I file my degree evaluation/plan?

The degree plan should be filed as soon as possible after completing 45 or more credit hours. To file the degree plan, contact the Rusche Student Services Center during normal business hours.

When should I apply for graduation?

The final degree audit (graduation plan), sometimes called a "final" degree plan, should be filed at the beginning of the semester in which the student will preregister for his or her final remaining coursework. Ordinarily, the period to apply for graduation will be during the long semester immediately prior to the graduating semester. Once you have completed 90 semester credit hours you will begin receiving notices from both the Office of the Registrar and the Rusche Student Services Center. Please check the University Calendar and watch your SFA email for the specific time period to file. The filing period is limited and failure to apply in a timely manner will result in additional late fees.

How do I apply for graduation?

To apply for graduation, complete the "Intent to Graduate" form in the Rusche Student Services Center. This process usually takes 1-2 weeks so plan ahead to avoid late filing fees. You will take a copy of the intent form along with an updated degree evaluation to the Graduation Office in Rusk 201. Students are not allowed to apply for a specific graduating semester unless enrolled in all required courses with the expectation of meeting all requirements including grade point average.

What is the Major Field Test?

The Major Field Test (MFT) is required for all students pursuing the Bachelor of Business Administration degree and will be administered in the MGT 463, Business Policy and Strategy course. To prepare for this test, business majors are advised to retain their class notes and other relevant materials from other business foundation courses and to fine-tune their readiness for the Major Field Test review.

How many credit hours of coursework does it take to obtain a bachelor's degree in the College of Business?

The minimum is 120 total hours including transfer work. Some students require more depending on the major, the minor (if one is selected ), and whether the student has taken any unnecessary courses.

Am I required to declare a minor?

Students majoring in Economics (B.A. degree only) are required to declare a minor, which is normally 18 to 24 hours of coursework as specified by the department of the minor. College of Business students majoring in other subjects may have a minor but are not required to. Depending on the combination of major and minor, declaring a minor may increase required coursework above the normal minimum of 120 hours.


How will I find a job when I graduate?

The Career Services Center provides a full range of services from resume preparation to on-campus interviews with prospective employers. Students are encouraged to work with the Career Services Center throughout their college careers. In addition, the Rusche College of Business may have opportunities for work and/or internships. Talk with your academic advisor if you are interested and they can help you find the correct resources.

What are "upper division" courses and when should I take them?

Upper division (advanced) courses are those numbered 300 and higher. To take an upper division course in the Rusche College of Business, you must be classified as a junior or senior (60 or more semester credit hours completed) or have permission from the chair of your department. The junior/senior requirement applies to all SFA students enrolling in business courses regardless of their major. In addition, business majors should have completed the following courses: ENG 131, 132; MTH 143, 144, 220; ACC 231, 231; BCM 247; ECO 231, 232; CSC 121.

I want to take a course that has a prerequisite. Can I take both courses at the same time?
No. Prerequisites must be completed with a passing grade prior to enrollment in the course in question. Some courses require a particular grade inthe prerequisite course(s). Only courses listed as 'co-requisite' may be taken simultaneously.