The Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies (formerly the Department of General Business) employs 17 faculty members (13 full time and 4 part time) who are exceptionally qualified to teach in the areas of business communication, business law, leadership communication, and corporate education. The faculty provide classes to over 300 majors and approximately 200 minors (primarily non-business majors pursuing the general business minor.)
The Department offers two degree programs; a major in General Business and another major in Business Communication and Corporate Education. The General Business major serves students who are interested in a broad-based business degree that involves choices of classes offered in the College of Business. The Business Communication and Corporate Education major is designed to prepare individuals to fill the business-related communications and employee development roles in traditional and virtual business environments. An integral part of the Nelson Rusche College of Business, the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies offers an excellent variety of majors, emphasis areas, minors, and courses.
Examples of outstanding students who go above and beyond the classroom to achieve are:
- Seven Rusche College of Business students competed in June 2014 at the Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda National Leadership Conference in Nashville, Tennessee. Phi Beta Lambda - Pens and Axes Chapter at SFA is sponsored by the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies.
- Cole Tomberlain, Rusche College of Business BBA graduate with a major in General Business , is a third generation Tomberlain at the T-3 Charles Tomberlain Insurance Agency in Longview, Texas. Cole gives back to SFA by serving on the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies Advisory Council.
In addition to excellent teaching, faculty are continually recognized for excellent teaching, outstanding research, and professional service. Examples include:
- Ms. Judi Biss had two student teams present poster sessions at the SFA Undergraduate Research Conference in the Spring 2012 semester.
- Dr. Debbie DuFrene, Associate Dean and faculty member in the department, has authored multiple editions of two widely adopted business communication textbooks.
- Dr. Marsha Bayless, Professor, and Dr. Ann Wilson, Associate Professor and Chair, were asked by the National Business Education Association to write a chapter on Business Communication for the NBEA 2013 Yearbook, Effective Methods of Teaching Business Education.
- Dr. Susan Jennings received the 2012 Outstanding Researcher Award from the Association for Business Communication, Southwestern U.S. Region.
Welcome to the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies. Thank you for visiting our website for information about a major in General Business or a major in Business Communication and Corporate Education. All of our faculty members and staff are focused on student success and eager to assist you in fulfilling your career goals. In addition, our one-on-one advising from an ongoing student/advisor relationship creates careful planning of an appropriate course of study during your college career at SFA.
If you need further information, please contact me at email@example.com or 936.468.3103.
Associate Professor and Interim Chair