The Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies (formerly the Department of General Business) employs 17 faculty members (13 full time and 4 part time) who are exceptionally qualified to teach in the areas of business communication, business law, leadership communicationi, and corporate education. The faculty provide classes to over 300 majors and approximately 200 minors (primarily non-business majors pursuing the general business minor.) Examples of outstanding students who go above and beyond the classroom to achieve are:
- Michael York, spring 2012 graduate, and Courtney Short, MBA student, presented a paper at the Association of Business Information Systems at the Federation of Business Disciplines Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana on March 2, 2012. The students' paper was published in the conference proceedings.
- Six Rusche College of Business students competed in June 2012 at the Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda National Leadership Conference in San Antonio. Phi Beta Lambda - Pens and Axes Chapter at SFA is sponsored by the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies.
In addition to excellent teaching, faculty are continually recognized for excellent teaching, outstanding research, and professional service. Examples include:
- Ms. Judi Biss had two student teams present poster sessions at the SFA Undergraduate Research Conference in the Spring 2012 semester.
- Dr. Debbie DuFrene, Associate Dean and faculty member in the department, has authored multiple editions of two widely adopted business communication textbooks.
- Dr. Marsha Bayless, Professor, and Dr. Ann Wilson, Associate Professor and Chair, were asked by the National Business Education Association to write a chapter on Business Communication for the NBEA 2013 Yearbook, Effective Methods of Teaching Business Education.
- Dr. Susan Jennings received the 2012 Outstanding Researcher Award from the Association for Business Communication, Southwestern U.S. Region.
Welcome to the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies. All faculty members and staff are focused on student success and eager to assist you in fulfilling your career goals. One-on-one advising from an ongoing student/advisor relationship creates careful planning of an appropriate course of study during your college career at SFA.
If you need further information, please contact me at email@example.com or (936) 468-3103.
Thanks for visiting,