The Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies (formerly the Department of General Business) employs 15 faculty members (12 full time and 4 part time) who are exceptionally qualified to teach in the areas of business communication, business law, leadership communication, and corporate education. The faculty provide classes to over 330 general business majors and about 40 Business Communication and Corporate Education majors as well as approximately 200 minors (primarily non-business majors pursuing the general business minor.)
The Department offers two degree programs; a major in General Business and another major in Business Communication and Corporate Education. The General Business major serves students who are interested in a broad-based business degree that involves choices of classes offered in the College of Business. The Business Communication and Corporate Education major is designed to prepare individuals to fill the business-related communications and employee development roles in traditional and virtual business environments. An integral part of the Nelson Rusche College of Business, the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies offers an excellent variety of majors, emphasis areas, minors, and courses.
Examples of outstanding students who go above and beyond the classroom to achieve are:
- Twelve Nelson Rusche College of Business students competed in June 2016 at the Future Business Leaders of America-Phi Beta Lambda National Leadership Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. Phi Beta Lambda - Pens and Axes Chapter at SFA is sponsored by the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies.
- Braxton Berthot earned the most points in the Nelson Rusche College of Business Passport Program for the 2015-16 school year and was awarded first prize of a $2500 scholarship.
- Cole Tomberlain, Nelson Rusche College of Business BBA graduate with a major in General Business , is a third generation Tomberlain at the T-3 Charles Tomberlain Insurance Agency in Longview, Texas. Cole gives back to SFA by serving on the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies Advisory Council.
In addition to excellent teaching, faculty are continually recognized for outstanding research and professional service. Examples include:
- Dr. Tim Clipson received the Educator of the Year Award from the Association for Business Communication Southwest in March 2016.
- Dr. Debbie DuFrene, Professor Emeritus, has authored multiple editions of two widely adopted business communication textbooks.
- Dr. Ashley Hall received the Margaret Baker Graham Research grant at the National Association for Business Communication Annual Conference.
- Dr. Susan Jennings served as the Conference Program Chair for the Association for Business Communication Southwest Conference in Oklahoma City.
Welcome to the Department of Business Communication and Legal Studies. Thank you for visiting our website for information about a major in General Business or a major in Business Communication and Corporate Education. All of our faculty members and staff are focused on student success and eager to assist you in fulfilling your career goals. In addition, our one-on-one advising from an ongoing student/advisor relationship creates careful planning of an appropriate course of study during your college career at SFA.
If you need further information, please contact me at email@example.com or 936.468.3103.
Professor and Chair