- All coursework completed
- All grades posted
- Degree conferred on final transcript - (one week after graduation)
- Field experience completed (student teaching/internship)
- Certification tests completed for specific certificate (PPR and Content)*
- An online application submitted to TEA
- Payment to TEA for the certificate and fingerprint check
- December graduates may begin applying November 1st
- May graduates may begin applying April 1st
- August graduates may begin applying July 1st
Please note - recommendation cannot be made by SFA until degrees have been conferred on the final transcript. If you are seeking certification only, recommendation cannot be made until all coursework/field experience is complete and grades are posted. Students should be notified by TEA that they have been recommended by SFA within 4-6 weeks of graduation/coursework completion.
- Go to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) website.
- On the left hand side of the screen, click on the link for Educator Certification.
- On the left hand side of the screen, click on the link for Educator LOGIN/ACCOUNT SET UP.
- After you have logged in to your account, click on Applications on the left side of the Educator Main Menu and select Standard Certificate Texas Program.
- Answer questions on the applicant's affidavit.
- Choose Stephen F. Austin State University as the entity.
- Indicate specifically the certificate for which you are applying (EC-6 Generalist, 4-8 Math, 8-12 Life Science, etc.) - DO NOT CHOOSE MASTER TEACHER UNLESS YOU ARE IN THE MASTER PROGRAM AND HAVE COMPLETED TExMat EXAMS!
- Complete the remaining portion of the application and select SFASU University based, College Recommendation.
- Submit your application.
- Submit your payment and fingerprint fee.
- After payment for fingerprints has been made, students will receive an email with instruction on how to make arrangements for the fingerprint scan.
An educator who holds a Standard Texas Teaching Certificate has the option to take any content TExES exam by using the Certification by Exam option. (On your TEA Educator Certification page under Applications - Additional Certificate by Examination). If you are successful on these exams, each exam should be added to your certificate. Please note: Additional exams will not be available until the Standard Certificate has been issued by TEA. Clearance from SFA is not needed to take the additional exam.
You will be required to renew you certification every five years! You will renew from the TEA Educator Certification Login. Make sure you are proactive and do not let your license lapse because you did not renew!