Careful Travel planning is important for many reasons:
- To ensure that the trip goes smoothly and is enjoyable and productive.
- To ensure that the traveler will be reimbursed to the maximum allowable
limits with minimum efforts.
- To maximize travel dollars available to SFASU and the traveler.
Know Your Department’s Travel Rules
- Check with your supervisor and/or account manager for any rules
or restrictions affecting the approval process or spending limits.
- Your department may have someone designated to help with the process.
Know the Basics
- What the University will pay or reimburse.
- What payment methods are acceptable.
- What source of funds you will be using for travel reimbursement.
- The allowable rates at your duty point.
- What receipts you need to save.
- Submit a Travel Request to the Travel Office with appropriate approvals.
- Find out if you need to pre-pay the conference registration.
- Decide on the type of transportation and payment method you will
- Consider using a travel agent to make arrangements.
- Make hotel reservations, check State Contracted hotels/motels.
- Arrange ground transportation at your destination.
- Calculate what additional cash you may need.
- If traveling out-of-country, read the Foreign Travel information.
Things to Remember
- Take your University ID; to identify you as a University employee,
it may be required for certain discounts.
- Tax Exemption form
- Remember to have the hotel split bill the room if lodging is shared.
- Keep all receipts.
- Record mileage when traveling in personally owned vehicle. Remember
Pre-payment for Travel Expenses
- Conference registration fees (Purchase Voucher/Procard)
- Hotels for group trips(Purchase Voucher)
- Airfare on an airfare billing form
- Airfare purchased by traveler well in advance of the trip (Purchase
- Conference rooms (Purchase Voucher)
firstname.lastname@example.org • Lynnette Honea (936) 468-2462 • fax: (936) 468-2207
Top of page