Person to person counseling services are available to all currently enrolled students. If distance prohibits an on-campus visit, we suggest the following resources for counseling services:
- Insurance: Most insurance carriers have referrals for mental health and substance abuse counseling centers.
- Local College or University Services: Some four-year colleges and universities staff a community clinic. These clinics may offer a sliding scale for payment.
- Physicians: Your primary care physician may be able to provide you with a referral.
- Personal Referral: You may be able to receive a recommendation from family or friends.
- United Way: Your local United Way can provide referrals for counseling centers and services in your area. Referrals may be to a non-profit organization which may have a sliding scale for payment.
- NBCC: The National Board of Certified Counselors will have a list of counselors in your area: http://www.nbcc.org/counselorfind
Texas Counseling Association: This site has a list of Licensed Professional Counselors throughout Texas and the U.S., as well as other links to mental health resources:
- Texas Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors: Provides a directory of health and mental health services in Texas: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/services.shtm
- If you live in Nacogdoches, Lufkin or the surrounding areas, you may also consult the Community Resources Guide: http://www.ci.nacogdoches.tx.us/index.aspx?NID=978
Also please refer to the Self-Help Resources Guide on this site.
If you have additional questions, Counseling Services can be contacted to help provide suggestions in finding resources. You can reach us Monday-Friday, 8:00a.m-5:00p.m., by calling 936 468-2401.