Services Application Process
Following acceptance for admission to SFA, the process of obtaining services and accommodations through Disability Services begins with submitting documentation of a disability.
APPLICATION FOR SERVICES
- After being accepted for admissions to SFA obtain an application from Disability Services, room 325 of the Human Services Building for academic accommodations or request an application packet on-line. Obtain a request for housing accommodations from the Residence Life Department, on the first floor of the Austin building.
- Obtain written documentation of your disability from a licensed professional in accordance with the attached guidelines.
- Return the completed application (academic) to Disability Services and return your housing request to the Residence Life Department.
- Your application and documentation will be reviewed by the Director of Disability Services and/or the Academic or Housing Assessment Committee, depending upon your request.
- To ensure review at the monthly meeting of the Academic Assessment Committee, documentation and application for academic accommodations should be received by Disability Services on or before the first day of the month. Housing Assessment Committee meetings are held as needed to facilitate the room assignment schedule each semester.
- If additional documentation is needed prior to or following committee review, you will be notified by Disability Services.
- Committee recommendations regarding appropriate, reasonable accommodations will be provided to Disability Services and to the Director of Residence Life Department as appropriate.
- If recommended, academic accommodations are provided through Disability Services. Housing assignment and accommodations are provided through the Residence Life Department.
- Prior to receiving academic accommodations, you must complete a Semester Application in Disability Services each semester. You should make an appointment to do this after you have registered for classes.
- Returning students who have previously received housing accommodations through this process are not required to resubmit documentation or to re-register their requests with the Residence Life Department unless they are requesting changes in accommodations received in a prior semester. However, they are strongly encouraged to re-register with Disability Services each semester in which they are enrolled.
- A copy of the University’s appeal process and the discrimination/complaint procedure is available from Disability Services.
Prior to submitting documentation to Disability Services as SFA, students seeking services should obtain a copy of the complete guidelines required for specific disabilities.
Top of page