Services Check List for Special Accommodations
BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR SERVICES FROM DISABILITY SERVICES
HOW TO APPLY FOR ACCOMMODATIONS
- Obtain an Application for Services and a copy of the documentation guidelines. For a hard copy please contact our office.
- Read the guidelines; you may need an updated assessment. If so, provide a copy to the professional who will be performing your assessment and providing a diagnosis. Appendix 2.0 of the Documentation Guidelines lists tests for assessing adolescents and adults.
- Ask questions if you do not fully understand the accommodation process.
- Return the completed application and complete documentation to Disability Services by the first of the month in which you seek committee review. (The committee meets monthly.)
NOTIFICATION OF ACCOMMODATIONS
If accommodations were recommended, meet with the Director to complete the semester application process, which includes notification to professors.
If no accommodations were recommended, meet with the Director to obtain information on referrals or resources for general academic support available at SFA, a student also has the right to appeal the decision.
HOW TO RECEIVE ACCOMMODATIONS AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR SERVICES
- Meet personally with each professor who received an accommodation request from Disability Services. Arrange this meeting immediately after you have completed your semester application.
- Discuss with your professors the details and logistics of HOW the specified accommodations will be provided in each of your classes throughout the semester.
- Contact Disability Services if questions or problems arise so that any difficulties can be resolved early in the semester.
- Initiate the semester application process each subsequent semester in which you want to receive accommodations.
Top of page