- Apply for admission to graduate school and the Reading Specialist program. Make sure you are indicating "Reading Specialist" on the application to ensure that it is submitted to Dr. Kimberly Welsh, Reading Specialist graduate program coordinator. Admission to the Master of Education: Professional Reading Specialist program requires a valid permanent teacher's certificate or at least 18 semester hours of approved courses in education. Candidates must hold a PK-12 classroom teaching position in order to enroll in practicums.
- For clear admission to graduate school and the Reading Specialist Masters Program, an applicant must have an overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and a 2.8 on the last 60 hours of undergraduate work. In all cases, an applicant must be recommended for admission to the program by the Department of Elementary Education and the academic dean.
- Upon admission to the Reading Specialist program, complete the top part of the Master of Education: Professional Reading Specialist degree plan and email to Dr. Kimberly Welsh at email@example.com. Complete and submit the Advanced Educator Certification Tracking Form and email to Dr. Kimberly Welsh at firstname.lastname@example.org. A $100.00 Application Fee will be charged to your MySFA Account.
- Before registering for courses, contact Dr. Kimberly Welsh for advisement and removal of registration block.
- Register for courses specific to your degree plan.
Congress has created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants up to $4,000 per year (maximum $8,000) to students seeking the Reading Specialist certification who intend to teach in a school that serves students from low-income families. If after reading the information at this web site, http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/, you meet the criteria and are interested, please contact the SFA financial aide office at SFA at 936 468-2403.
For a listing of schools identified as low-income schools go to http://www.tcli.ed.gov/.