Stephen F. Austin State University

Assistantships & Employment


A number of departments offer graduate assistantships to carefully selected students. The primary goal of an assistantship is to facilitate progress toward the graduate degree by providing work experience in a profession under the supervision of a faculty mentor, thus, as a graduate assistant, you are both a student and employee.

Types of Graduate Assistantships

Depending upon the needs of the academic units, available funds, and the qualifications of the individual graduate student, three types of master's and doctoral assistantships may be offered. The duties of a particular assistantship can be and most often are a combination of the types of duties listed below.

Stipends, Assistantship Duration, and Insurance

The stipends vary according to the major and extent of the assignment. Graduate assistants assigned at 50% FTE (50% FTE = a full graduate assistantship) are expected to serve 20 hours per week in the department to which they are assigned. Those assigned to other percentages are expected to work a proportionate number of hours per week. Graduate assistantships are usually limited to four semesters (except for the Ph.D., Ed.D., and M.F.A. programs). Graduate Assistants appointed at the 50% FTE are eligible for medical insurance coverage by paying one-half of the premium for employee only coverage or a proportionate rate for optional coverage, such as employee and family. See the Office of Human Resources for additional details.

Payment Schedule for Graduate Assistantship Stipends

Fall Semester - Four (4) equal installments to be released on the first university workday of October, November, December and January.

Spring Semester - Five (5) equal installments to be released on the first university workday of February, March, April, May and June.

Questions - If you have any questions regarding the gross amount of your stipend, contact the Graduate Office at (936) 468-2807. If you have any questions regarding net pay or deductions, contact Payroll at (936) 468-2303.

How To Apply for an Assistantship

If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you should contact the appropriate academic department well in advance of the semester in which you are interested in the assistantship.


In addition to graduate assistantships, jobs are available both off and on campus. Graduate students have access to Jobs4Jacks, an online employment platform hosted by the Center for Career and Professional Development, where numerous positions are available throughout the year.

To access Jobs4Jacks, students can click here (, click on "Student," click on the "Stephen F. Austin State University" button, and then enter their mySFA credentials. Account information is pre-loaded for all current SFA students. Students should complete their profile and then can search for positions.

SFA Human Resources also lists information for on-campus student worker positions here (

Graduate students also have access to all CCPD services, which include career coaching, professional document critiques, career expos, mock interviews, and the career closet, where students can borrow professional clothing for presentations or interviews. All these services can be requested via the Jobs4Jacks platform.

For more information on Jobs4Jacks or any CCPD services:

Center for Career and Professional Development
Third Floor, Rusk Building
(936) 468-3305

Federal Work Study

Many students take advantage of the Federal Work Study Program, in which students are awarded money as part of their financial aid package that they can earn through an on-campus job. In order to qualify for the program you must demonstrate financial need (See Financial Aid and Scholarships), maintain satisfactory performance in your studies, and meet varied time and work load requirements in departments and divisions across the campus. Both the Financial Aid Office and the Student Employment Center can provide initial information about the program.

Payroll Information

If you are receiving an official salary from the university as a graduate assistant or student worker, it is very important that you sign all of the necessary payroll papers in your department. Necessary information and forms for payroll and insurance must be completed and forwarded to Human Resources and business offices in a timely fashion to ensure payment on schedule. All work payments are electronically transferred to your bank of choice through the business office.