Stephen F. Austin State University

314 E. Main

314 E. Main Photographs

314 E. Main 2010 Survey Information

314 E. Main Survey Form

314 E. Main 2007 National Register Information

Constructed in 1900, these two neighboring buildings (312 and 314 E. Main have the same NR 2007 description) represent a typical example of modest one-part commercial blocks, significantly altered. Both buildings are constructed and clad in brick, though the original surface material and architectural details have been obscured by a man-made stone cladding at the storefront level, and a layer of stucco applied to the area above the transom windows. The storefronts of both buildings have been modernized, and now feature aluminum-framed plate glass windows and off-set single door entrances. Although the mass and form of both of these buildings are recognizable as historic, the application of nonhistoric materials and the obliteration of any existing architectural embellishments have rendered these non-contributing elements to the historic district.