Grand Opening of the Depot
The opening of the Nacogdoches Train Depot went off with complete success, ushering nearly 60 visitors! According to the City of Nacogdoches website, "the present-day brick depot was built by Southern Pacific and opened April 3, 1911; less than a year after the original wooden building, built in May 1910, burned to the ground after being struck by lightning. In August of 1954 Southern Pacific terminated passenger services through Nacogdoches. The railroad depot is the only surviving passenger depot on the old HE&WT line. The depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. Future plans for the depot include a museum depicting the importance of all transportation in the early development of Nacogdoches."