Campus Alert

Outdoor Siren and JackAlert Test Wednesday/ROTC Cannon Test Fire. Click here for more information

Stephen F. Austin State University

Downtown Historic District

The Downtown Overlay District extends to the north and south of Main Street which is the historic El Camino Real. The El Camino Real connected Mexico City with the French outpost at Natchitoches and served as an important transportation, trade, and political route throughout the Spanish colonial, Mexican, Texas Republic, and statehood eras. The central plaza which contains the Old Federal Building (1918) is surrounded on four sides by commercial structures. Although the Old Stone Fort (now rebuilt as a museum on the SFA campus) and several other structures have been moved from downtown, there are several blocks of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century buildings used for business and cultural activities. The district also extends north and south along US 59 Business which is the historic La Calle del Norte. The western edge of the district is the old railroad yard that includes the restored depot now operated by the city as a historic site. There are several large bronze sculptures in the district commemorating notable figures in Nacogdoches's history.

You can view the Downtown National Register Nomination in 4 parts: Please note these are very large files and may take a few minutes to load completely. However, they offer a great wealth of information regarding downtown Nacogdoches and its history.

Downtown District Map



View Downtown District in a larger map

Bremond

Church

Commerce

Fredonia

Hospital

Lanana

Main

Mound

North

Old Tyler Road

Pearl

Pecan

Pilar

South