Stephen F. Austin State University

315 N. Church

315 N. Church Photographs

315 N. Church Summer 2011 Survey

Sarah Richardson, a daughter of one of Rusk county's leading families, married Edward E. Richardson on June 3, 1968. After her husband's death Richardson returned to her parents--following them to Nacogdoches in 1893. In 1897, Sarah Richardson's brother, Charles Perkins, built this home for his sister.

Sarah Richardson played a leading role in Nacogdoches society until her death in 1922. Her obituary in The Redland Herald notes Richardson as "one of the city's most notable characters." In later life Richardson, who never remarried, followed the male practice of referring to herself by her first two initials, in this case S. A. Richardson. Such references were unusual for a woman of her time.

According to Sarah K. Jackson's book Karle Wilson Baker - Texas Woman of Letters, the SFA anthem was first sung at the Sarah Richardson house in 1924. In 1924, SFA acquired a grand piano. With the schools auditorium unfinished Ida Pritchett, the head of the school's music program, placed the piano in the Sarah Richardson House. In early 1924, Karle Wilson Baker, a nominee for the 1924 Pulitzer Prize in Poetry and a Professor of English at SFA, gathered with Pritchett and others to brainstorm an anthem for the new college. "The Piney Woods Hymn," one of Baker's poems and subsequently the SFA school song, was first set to music during this meeting.

Sarah Richardson Obit - Redland Herald Obits_2.pdf
Sarah Richardson Obit- Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel
SFA Faculty Photo Showing Prichett and Baker,11896
SFA School Song
1946 Sanborn Company Map
1929 Sanborn Company Map
1922 Sanborn Company Map- Sheet 6
1912 Sanborn Company Map- Sheet 4
1906 Sanborn Company Map- Sheet 7

315 N. Church 1990 National Register Information

315 N. Church 1986 Survey Information