Karl E. Baughman, Ph.D.
Western Michigan University, 2011
Roman Empire, Early Christianity, Gender
Office: 362 Vera Dugas Liberal Arts North
Dr. Baughman has taught or is currently teaching the following courses:
- Ancient World
- Western Civilization I
- Western Civilization II
- Ancient Near East
- Ancient Greece & the Hellenistic World
- Ancient Rome
- Early Christianity
- History & Literature of the New Testament
Dr. Baughman's publications include:
- "Mamaea's Little Man: The Masculinity of Alexander Severus in the Accounts of Herodian"
Manuscript under review
- "A History of Concordia College"
Printed in all Concordia publications, manuals, and on www.ccal.edu, 2011
- Concordia Faculty Handbook
Concordia College, Selma, AL, 2011 (revised 2012)
Dr. Baughman's presentations include:
- "A Mamaea's Boy: Gendered Language and Imperial Authority under Alexander Severus"
International Congress on Medieval Studies "Vessels of Ignomity: Gender and 'Race' as Rhetorical Shaming Devices", Kalamazoo, MI, May 10-13, 2012
- "When Men were Men & Women Weren't: Gendered Language and the Memory of Commodus"
Annual Meeting "Visualizing Antiquity" of The Classical Association of the Canadian West, Victoria, BC, March 16-17, 2012
- "Flavia Domitilla: A Case Study on Gender and Punishment n the Early Roman Empire"
Annual Meeting of The Classical Association of Canada, Vancouver, BC, March 12-14, 2009
- "Strange Bedfellows?: Book VIII of Eusebius' Church History and the Church under Philip the Arab"
Winter Meeting of the American Society of Church History, Philadelphia, PA, January 5-8, 2006
- "The Historical Jesus: Secular Historical Accounts of Jesus and the Early Christians"
Our World - His View, WLQV AM 1500, Detroit, MI, July 21, 2007
- "The Formation of the New Testament and the Council of Nicaea"
Our World - His View, WLQV AM 1500, Detroit, MI, February 3, 2007
- "Irenaeus of Lyon and the Gospel of Judas"
St. Thomas Lutheran Church, Eastpointe, MI, April 23, 2006
- "The Decadence of Rome in Mel Brooks' History of the World Part I"
Phi Alpha Theta Honors Society Movie Night, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, November 16, 2005
Dr. Baughman's professional service includes:
- Chair, Division of General Education, Concordia College, 2012-2013
- Civil Rights Symposium Planning Committee, Concordia College, 2013
- Educational Policies Committee, Concordia College, 2012-2013
- Self-Study Committee for SACS Fifth-Year Review, Concordia College, 2012-2013
- Concordia International Studies Consortium, Concordia University
System Secretary, 2012-2013
Concordia Alabama Representative, 2009-2013
- Curriculum Coordinator for History & Religion, Concordia College, 2010-2012
- Faculty Welfare Committee, Concordia College, 2009-1012
- AP European History Exams, ETS, Fort Collins, CO then Kansas City, MO
- Teaching Assistants Union, Western Michigan University
Steward, Department of History, 2008-2009
- GA/DA Mentor ("Head TA"), Department of History, Western Michigan University, 2007-08
- Academic Integrity Committee, Western Michigan University
Graduate Student Representative, Department of History, 2005-2009
- History Graduate Student Organization, Western Michigan University
Vice President, 2005-2006