Philip Catton, Ph.D.
Ohio University, 1998
Modern Asia, U.S.-Vietnamese Relations
Office: 361 Vera Dugas Liberal Arts North
Dr. Catton has taught or is currently teaching the following courses:
- Vietnam War
- Non-Western World
- Modern East Asia
- U.S. History, 1000-1877
- U.S. History, 1877-present
Dr. Catton's publications include:
- Diem's Final Failure: Prelude to America's War in Vietnam (Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 2002).
- "Trying to Hustle the East: U.S. Relations with the Ngo Dinh Diem Government." In Frank A. Kinkovich and Liping Bu eds., The Cultural Turn: Essays in the History of U.S. Foreign Relations (Chicago: Imprint Publications, 2001).
- "Counter-Insugency and Nation Building: The Strategic Hamlet Programme in South Vietnam, 1961-1963." International History Review, December 1999.
- "Old Battlefields and New Frontiers: Doing Research in Vietnam." Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations Newsletter, March 1998.