A home away from home
If you’re thinking about earning a degree in the United States, SFA is a great place to explore, learn and grow. Not only will you find engaging classes and outstanding faculty members here, you’ll have opportunities to explore other cultures, make lifelong friends and take part in all that university life has to offer. We invite you to discover the Lumberjack experience for yourself.
Estimated Cost of Attendance
For the most up-to-date information on the average cost an SFA student incurs, visit our Cost of Attendance page.
Applying to SFA: The requirements
An international student is someone who is not a U.S. citizen or a permanent U.S. resident (i.e., those who are visa holders). Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals are not considered international students.
English Proficiency requirements
All applicants must submit an English test score or a waiver of equivalency as part of their complete application. Testing can be done through one of three official exams:
- TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language
- IELTS: International English Language Testing System
- PTE: Pearson Test of English
If you have attended school in the U.S., including select language schools, additional options are available to meet the English requirement.
A waiver of equivalency is available for students with academic credentials from certain countries.
Visit the English Proficiency Requirement page for more information.
All international applicants must submit course-by-course credential evaluations from previous schools that are outside the U.S.
- Undergraduate, first-time student: all secondary schools
- Undergraduate, transfer: all secondary and post-secondary schools
- Graduate: all post-secondary schools
The Office of International Programs will accept a credential evaluation from most recognized companies. Although we do not recommend any one company, we have had successful experience with the following companies:
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA on all secondary coursework.
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA on all post-secondary coursework.
Transferring credits from another educational institution:
In addition to the credential evaluation noted in the above requirements, if you are transferring from another educational institution and would like to transfer course credits, you may be required to submit syllabi from those courses.
- All international graduate applicants must meet the same requirements as all graduate applicants.
Step 1: ApplyTexas online application
Applying to SFA is easy with the ApplyTexas online admissions application. This application can be completed from anywhere in the world. You can preview the application to get a sense of the questions. Note: When completing the ApplyTexas application, if you have trouble entering your high school code, try using eight asterisks (*) instead.
The cost for applying to SFA is $50. You’ll pay this at the end of the application process.
Step 2: Mail additional documents to the Office of International Programs
You will need to mail the additional documents listed below to the Office of International Programs to complete your application for admission paperwork.
All applicants must submit:
- proof of English Proficiency
- Visit the English Proficiency Requirement page for more information.
- a credential evaluation, as outlined in the requirements above
- if younger than 22 years of age: a Bacterial Meningitis vaccination record, as required by Texas state law
- Your verification of Bacterial Meningitis vaccination form must be completed by a licensed physician.
- and a copy of your passport biographical page.
Undergraduate applicants also can submit:
- Official SAT/ACT scores
- Test scores are never required for international student admission but may be used to satisfy the Texas Success Initiative.
The following documents should only be submitted if required by your academic program. An application guide for your academic program should be requested from the Office of International Programs by emailing email@example.com.
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal goal statement, or similar
- Official GRE, issued directly by ETS
- SFA school code: 6682
- Official GMAT
Note: Official GRE/GMAT scores must have been taken within the last five years to be considered valid for admission.
Mail all documents to one of the following addresses:
Regular mail and DHL
Office of International Programs
P.O. Box 6152, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962
Express mail - FedEx, UPS:
Office of International Programs
404 Aikman Drive
Dugas Liberal Arts North, Room 402
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962
Once all application materials are received, decisions are typically made within three to four weeks.
Accepted? Congratulations! Here's what to do next:
The information from the following documents will be used to complete your I-20 form, which will allow you to apply for your student visa.
Mail the following documents to the Office of International Programs:
- An original Certification of Finances form completed by you and your sponsors.
- Original bank statement from your or your sponsor(s) verifying funds of at least*:
- Undergraduate students: $30,616 USD.
- Graduate students: $24,995 USD.
*This amount is reduced by any scholarship or out-of-state tuition waiver received.
If you are transferring from another educational institution in the U.S., you also will need:
- Transfer-In Form completed by you and your international student advisor to transfer your SEVIS record.
Acceptance letters and I-20/DS-2019 forms
The Office of International Programs mails acceptance letters and I-20/DS-2019 forms through the U.S. Postal Service at no cost to you. This method does not allow for a tracking number and may take up to four weeks for delivery, depending on your location.
Would you like faster delivery?
For faster delivery, you may pay to have your acceptance packet sent by expedited service through University Express Mail Services or Air Concepts USA. Both companies require you to create an account before using their services, and you will need to pay close attention to the information you provide as errors will result in the delay of your acceptance packet arrival. Learn more about these two options:
University Express Mail Service
To request shipment, you will need your SFA ID number, mailing address, email address, telephone number and credit card information.
If you experience any difficulty in registering or in processing a shipment, use the "Help" link on the site for step-by-step instructions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.
Visit UEMS website.
Air Concepts USA
Air Concepts offers a flat rate. All international shipments originating from the U.S. cost a flat $66 (including Nigeria). Embargoed or elevated delivery risk countries would incur an additional $30 charge.
If you experience any difficulty in registering or in processing a shipment, email email@example.com.
Visit Air Concepts USA website.