About IT Security
Mission & Vision
The role of IT Security at Stephen F. Austin State University is to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of University data, information, communications, and services. To promote secure information technology systems, IT Security role also includes educating users, assess and identify new architectural requirements, and consult in the areas of security risk, practice, policy, and technology. IT Security provides the coordination of security incident investigation and response.
SFASU works in cooperation with other State agencies and Higher Education Institutions to secure your information.
IT Security aims to deliver all of the following services in the most meaningful, understandable, attainable, affordable, controllable, and measurable ways possible. Your constructive feedback regarding our success or failure in meeting these performance objectives is always welcome.
Network Access Management
The firewall service addresses all phases of a firewall security solution, including architectural validation, implementation, operations, and ongoing configuration management. The service provides secure authorization and access control with due consideration to impact on network performance. The IT network and security analysts will provide consultation to aid in establishing the access controls required to protect data assets.
- Consultation regarding service options and security configurations
- All required activities to complete perimeter firewall configuration and activation
- Fully managed perimeter firewall service
- 24 x 7 centralized monitoring and management of perimeter firewall
- Consultation and configuration assistance for firewalls installed between internal networks
- Consultation for implementing host based firewalls on customer systems
- Perform a risk analysis of own environment and determine perceived vulnerabilities prior to submitted Firewall Modification Request Form.
- Identify a secure physical facility with access control restrictions for the placement of the firewall equipment, should that be deemed necessary after initial consultation (The secure facility requires customer coordinated 24 x 7 accessibility for authorized IT staff)
- Provide a 24 x 7 point of contact (POC) for IT to contact for reporting and coordinating outages or emergency maintenance by submitting the Firewall Request Form. This POC list will include the only authorized contacts for security related issues, including the approval of the initial security policy and requesting policy changes
- Contact the Network Administrator, Helpdesk or IT Security to report problems or request assistance
- Work with IT on a mutually agreed schedule to allow required maintenance services to be performed in a timely manner
Virtual Private Network (VPN) Service
The VPN service option is a fully managed, end-to-end IP-based service enabling customers to securely connect to various SFASU network resources through an encrypted connection. VPN service is a fully managed solution for customers interested in utilizing standards based encryption technology as the foundation for secure, high performance data communications.
- Contact the Helpdesk to request the service, report problems, or request assistance
- Utilize sound security practices to keep VPN client system(s) secure against unauthorized access and other security threats (ex. up-to-date anti-virus and operating system patches)
Bradford Networks Campus Manager allows us to guard against viruses and spyware on student machines located in the residence halls. It enforces security policies and isolates non-compliant devices. It forces student’s in the residence halls obtain an up-to-date antivirus software and definitions and quarantine “at-risk” devices. In addition it forces student and device authentication and registration. It is also useful in locating rogue DHCP devices and disable them.
There are plans to roll Campus Manager to the wireless network.
Our team is responsible for maintaining and developing IT Security-related policies and procedures on campus. IT Security also measures compliance with existing policies through the annual risk assessment process. SFASU has been granted access to TAMU ISAAC tool
- Become aware of existing IT Security policies and be alert for updates
- Comply with these policies and notify IT Security when policy violations are observed
Security Awareness Training and Consulting Service
IT Security awareness program includes basic security training and workshops, Cyber Security Newsletter, and many other awareness and compliance programs. We will offer group, department, or individual on-demand training options. Training classes will be offered through Professional Development and Technology resources.
Implementation and Support
- Ongoing security awareness programs across campus
- Specialized and general IT security training classes
- Individualized consulting and training
- Online awareness programs
- Comprehensive IT Security website
Computer Security Incident Management and Response
IT Security performs incident management activities with the approval of University executive management and maintains a high level of expertise including incident handling certifications. We provide experienced leadership and counsel to individuals and departments faced with a security breach or an unauthorized disclosure of confidential information. The services include:
- Receipt and processing of reports of suspected security incidents
- Receipt and processing of abuse and appropriate use complaints
- Incident containment, forensics, and evidence preservation
- Coordination with Judicial (if applicable)
- Incident documentation and reporting
- E-discovery (the location and retrieval of electronically stored information pursuant to a subpoena, litigation hold, or similar mandate)
Implementation and Support
- Establish and maintain the Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT)
- University security incident documentation and reporting
- Incident management between and among University departments and external agencies
- Incident preparation, identification, containment, eradication, and recovery
- Initial response to all reported security incidents and appropriate use violations
- Tracking and logging of all incident activities
- Establishing, communicating, and implementing incident recovery measures
- Incident after-action reporting, meetings, and follow up activities
- Report all security incidents to IT Security by using the online security form
- Coordinate and cooperate with IT Security if involved in a security incident
- Each Department shall provide ITSecurity with a current Computer Incident Response Plan to be incorporated into the Campus Computer Incident Response Plan.
- Each employee shall be aware of their role in the Computer Incident Response Plan.
Top of page