Welcome to the LAA Advising Office
The Office of the Dean of Liberal & Applied Arts and individual academic departments oversee the curricular programs of students who pursue any of the courses of study offered within the College. Most students work with faculty advisors in the academic departments to develop specific degree plans, while those working toward degrees in Applied Arts & Sciences, Liberal Studies, or other interdisciplinary programs are assigned an advisor by the Dean.
Students who have declared a major in the College and have earned fewer than 45 semester credit hours should contact the Academic & Career Advising Office.
Our office is located in the Ferguson building, Room 291. Phone: 936-468-2205.
- Help students acclimate to college life.
- Help students formulate academic goals and develop their personal potential.
- Assist students in making responsible decisions consistent with interests, goals, abilities, and degree requirements.
- Connect students with campus and community resources.
Students we advise in the AAO:
- Liberal & Applied Arts majors with 45 or fewer earned hours. (Exceptions: If your major is in Creative Writing, Geography, History, Liberal Studies, Mass Media, Social Work, Sociology, Spanish or French, see an advisor in the department of your major)
- All students on probation within the College of Liberal & Applied Arts.
- Students seeking guidance for career planning.
When we advise students:
- Early in the semester, before early registration begins.
- Appointments accepted by phone and in person.
- Walk-ins are encouraged.
Other services we provide:
- Change of major or minor.
- Computer stations for registration and information searches.
- Information and brochures regarding special tracks, courses, CLAA majors, tutors, and testing.
- Review of final graduation plans.
Information on our website:
- Core Curriculum for B.A. and B.S. - Everything you need to know about the basic courses you will be taking.
- FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions about advising and other aspects of college life.
- Family Guide - Useful information for parents of college students.
- Career Info - Descriptions of jobs and skill sets for various majors in the College.
- Sample Degree Plans - Sample degree plans for various majors in the College.
These schedules are to be used for the purpose of planning and advising, but course offerings are subject to change. Students and advisors should verify these course offerings with the current on-line schedule of classes.