RESEARCH APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
What are RAPs?
- RAPs offer a $500 scholarship to students who complete a substantial research/collaborative project with a Liberal/Applied Arts faculty member. This project must be organized as a 1-1 arrangement between the student and faculty member through the format of a for-credit course. This course could be an independent study, internship, practicum, or thesis course. (Internships and practica taught in a group format do not qualify.)
- RAPs are competitive. Two are offered in the fall semester and two in the spring semester. The application deadline for the fall semester is May 1; the deadline for the spring semester is November 15.
- The selection committee for RAPs is comprised of the Liberal and Applied Arts department chairs, the associate dean, and the directors of the LAA research centers.
- RAPs offer students the opportunity to do research/collaborative work with a specialist on a topic devised by the student in the form of a 3-credit hour independent study/practicum/internship/thesis course. This arrangement allows for the student to receive both college credit and professional experience, which will be recorded on the student's transcript and can also be put on a resume.
- Students doing a RAP will have access to the facilities and equipment of the LAA research centers.
Eligibility Requirements for RAPs
- Major or minor in a Liberal/Applied Arts discipline
- The independent study/practicum/internship/thesis must fulfill a requirement within a Liberal/Applied Arts major or minor
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative gpa and minimum gpa of 3.25 in the major or minor
- At least 60 earned hours, at least 15 of which must be at SFA
- RAP scholarship recipients must submit their research/collaborative product to the Undergraduate Research Conference
To apply for a RAP
- Write an essay (approximately 500 words) addressing why you are qualified to do the proposed project and how it fits with your academic goals.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from the faculty member who will be working with you.
- Attach a detailed research plan/schedule.
- If you are doing an independent study or an internship, an independent study/internship application must be completed.
The deadline for applying for a RAP is May 1 for the Fall semester and December 1 for the Spring semester.
For more information about RAPs, contact Dr. Marc Guidry, Associate Dean, College of Liberal and Applied Arts, at 936.468.2087 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
College of Liberal & Applied Arts
P.O. Box 13033, SFA Station
Stephen F. Austin State University
Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3033
Phone 936.468.2803 Fax 936.468.2190