RESEARCH APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
What are RAPs?
- RAPs offer a $500 scholarship to students who complete a substantial research/collaborative project with a Liberal/Applied Arts faculty member. This project must be organized as a 1-1 arrangement between the student and faculty member through the format of a for-credit course. This course could be an independent study, internship, practicum, or thesis course. (Internships and practica taught in a group format do not qualify.)
- RAPs are competitive. Two are offered in the fall semester and two in the spring semester. The application deadline for the fall semester is May 1; the deadline for the spring semester is November 15.
- The selection committee for RAPs is comprised of the Liberal and Applied Arts department chairs, the associate dean, and the directors of the LAA research centers.
- RAPs offer students the opportunity to do research/collaborative work with a specialist on a topic devised by the student in the form of a 3-credit hour independent study/practicum/internship/thesis course. This arrangement allows for the student to receive both college credit and professional experience, which will be recorded on the student's transcript and can also be put on a resume.
- Students doing a RAP will have access to the facilities and equipment of the LAA research centers.
Eligibility Requirements for RAPs
- Major or minor in a Liberal/Applied Arts discipline
- The independent study/practicum/internship/thesis must fulfill a requirement within a Liberal/Applied Arts major or minor
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative gpa and minimum gpa of 3.25 in the major or minor
- At least 60 earned hours, at least 15 of which must be at SFA
- RAP scholarship recipients must submit their research/collaborative product to the Undergraduate Research Conference
To apply for a RAP
- Write an essay (approximately 500 words) addressing why you are qualified to do the proposed project and how it fits with your academic goals.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from the faculty member who will be working with you.
- Attach a detailed research plan/schedule.
- If you are doing an independent study or an internship, an independent study/internship application must be completed.
The deadline for applying for a RAP is May 1 for the Fall semester and November 15 for the Spring semester.
For more information about RAPs, contact Dr. Marc Guidry, Associate Dean, College of Liberal and Applied Arts, at 936.468.2087 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
College of Liberal & Applied Arts
P.O. Box 13033, SFA Station
Stephen F. Austin State University
Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3033
Phone 936.468.2803 Fax 936.468.2190