Major in Communication Studies
The Communication Studies B.A. and B.S. programs offer concentrations in Organizational Communication, Media Studies, Public Communication and Interpersonal Communication. Within each of the concentrations, instruction helps students:
- better understand how technology is altering interaction,
- how culture affects communication processes, and
- how communication competence is vital to leading and participating in a vibrant society.
Communication Studies offers a wide variety of learning experiences including:
- online courses,
- service learning courses,
- face-to-face courses, and
- material that is relevant and applicable to life.
Declaring a major in Communication Studies is done through the College of Liberal and Applied Arts.
Majors are advised by Communication Studies faculty.
Faculty aim to assist students in scheduling classes, identifying possible careers, recommending internships and study abroad opportunities, and transitioning to professional careers.
Students can choose to major in Communication Studies as a BA or BS.
Additionally, Communication Studies has an education track for students interested in teaching communication at secondary institutions.
Minor in Communication Studies
Communication courses complement a wide variety of majors across campus. Minors can choose coursework offered in Communication Studies that will enhance their major area or study and career goals.
The Leadership Minor at SFASU offers students a preparation ground to take the spirit of the 'Jacks forward into the community. A minor in leadership complements a wide variety of degrees and careers across the university. The overall objective is to:
- provide students with the understanding of leadership models used in organizations,
- better prepare students for leading organizations, and
- spearhead organizations through relevant change, establishing vision and coordinating with a diverse and growing global population.