Core courses must be taken during the first year of coursework and completed prior to taking electives.
During a semester when students desire to take 9 hours of graduate credit and only 6 hours of core coursework are offered, students may take an elective.
Graduate Faculty Advisors will work with students to ensure core coursework is completed as preparatory work for electives and that core coursework is complete prior to the semester comprehensive examinations are to be administered.
Required Core Courses include:
- COM 500 Introduction to Graduate Study
- COM 502 Communication Ethics
- COM 503 Communication Theory
- COM 510 Persuasive Leadership
- COM 512 Mass Media in Society
Other Courses Offered:
- COM 504 Topics in Communication
- COM 505 Advanced Topics in Media Studies
- COM 507 Management of Meetings
- COM 514 Rhetorical Theory and Criticism
- COM 515 Political Communication
- COM 517 Interpersonal Crisis Communication
- COM 535 Intercultural Communication
- COM 560 Issues Management and Crisis Response
- COM 570 Advanced Interpersonal Communication
- COM 573 Advanced Topics in Organizational Communication
- COM 575 Advanced Graduate Studies In Communication
- COM 576 Advanced Graduate Studies in Communication
- COM 589 Thesis Research*
- COM 590 Thesis Writing*
*Students completing a thesis must register each semester that they take these courses.