Get healthy. Stay healthy.
SFA’s health clinic offers a full range of medical services, from checkups and preventive care to immunizations to contraceptives and STD testing. Our staff of experienced, licensed physicians, nurse practitioners and certified lab technicians will help ensure that your time at SFA is happy and healthy.
Appointments are required for most visits and usually available same-day if you call early (8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.) or next day. Urgent work-in appointments are available for minor injuries and asthmatic or allergic reactions.
Students enrolled at SFA have access to the following medical services:
- Examination, diagnosis and treatment for medical illnesses
- Wound care, including minor surgery and suture removal
- Tuberculosis (TB) testing
- Sexually Transmitted Disease testing and treatment
- Routine gynecological services and contraceptive counseling
- Allergy management
- Mental health services (in partnership with SFA Counseling Services)
- Laboratory tests (in-house and off-site)
Making an appointment
Appointments are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. To make an appointment, call the health clinic at 936-468-4008.
- Most appointments can be made 1 day in advance. For gynecological visits, we recommend that you make an appointment a week in advance.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please notify the health clinic at least 24 hours ahead of time.
- Students who arrive more than 10 minutes late will need to reschedule their appointments.
Your first visit
If you’ve never visited the health clinic, we recommend that you arrive 15 minutes early to take care of registration and paperwork. Remember to bring your valid SFA ID card.
- If you need to send your medical records to SFA from another provider or facility, you’ll need to fill out the Medical Release to SFA form.
- We recommend that you submit a copy of your immunization record to the health clinic (even if you already have a copy on file with admissions).
If you are under 18 years of age, we’ll need written permission from a parent or guardian before we provide medical treatment. Your parent or guardian can download the consent form and fax it to the health clinic at 936-468-1316.
Insurance and payments
As an SFA student, you have access to most health services free of charge (we require payment for some immunizations and medical tests). Your student services fee helps pay for the cost of your medical care while you’re enrolled at SFA.
Although most health services are available free of charge, the health clinic does accept many insurance plans. This helps us keep costs down and enables us to provide high-quality care to all Lumberjacks. If you have health insurance, you should bring your health insurance card to every appointment at the health center. You can purchase low-cost student health insurance from Consolidated Health Plans.
While your care at the health clinic is available whether or not you have health insurance, injuries and after-hours illness is not uncommon while in college. We strongly encourage you to be covered by health insurance, as emergency room visits, urgent care visits, and hospital stays can be extremely costly.
The health clinic provides a variety of immunizations, including:
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Human papillomavirus vaccine (HPV)
- Meningitis conjugate vaccine (by law, all students are required to have this vaccine at least 10 days prior to enrollment)
- Flu vaccine
Do you want your immunizations records stored in one place? ImmTrac2 is a voluntary immunization registry service provided by the Texas Department of State Health Services. By utilizing this service you can safely and confidentially store your immunizations in one location.
Area medical facilities
SFA students in need of major surgery, specialized care or services such as X-rays or MRIs have access to two local hospitals:
Nacogdoches Medical Center Hospital
4920 N. E. Stallings Drive
Nacogdoches, TX 75961
Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital
1204 N. Mound Street
Nacogdoches, TX 75961
SFA students in need of immediate, emergency care have a couple options on where to go:
1420 North Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
MedPost Urgent Care
1305 North Street
Nacogdoches, TX 75961
Urgent Doc Urgent Care Clinic
4909 North Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75964