Pat Spence, APR
Director, Student Publications
Office: Student Center 2308
• 25 years experience directing publication of state award-winning University newspaper and yearbook,
including management and training of student staff members. Only three-time winner of top statewide award for publications advising.
•Extensive experience as a marketing and public relations practitioner in settings including non-profit
community service agency, for-profit hospital, large market public relations agency, international advertising
and public relations firm and private consulting business.
• Skill in strategic public relations planning, marketing, advertising, writing, editing, publications development
and production, media relations, crisis communications, image enhancement,
management and human relations.
• Experience in crisis management and communication on international level after 2003 explosion of Columbia
Space Shuttle and subsequent recovery efforts in Deep East Texas.
• Accredited in Public Relations (APR), national professional accreditation reflecting that a practitioner has "an
in-depth knowledge of public relations and a commitment to integrity;"
conferred by Public Relations Society of America.
• Professional experience in management of collateral functions including publishing, printing, photography,
media buying, audio and video production.
• Proficiency in desktop designing and publishing, Web page management with Macintosh computer system
and current publishing and graphics software.
1986 - Present Director, Student Publications, Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas.
Manage Student Publications operations producing twice-weekly student newspaper college
yearbook and annual literary magazine, all with student staffs. Duties include administration of
$200,000 annual budget, staff recruitment, training and supervision
Instructor, Department of Communication, Stephen F. Austin State University,
Nacogdoches, Texas. Teach communication skills at University level. Teaching experience in
PR, Newswriting, Communication Law.
1985 - 1986 Director of Public Relations, HCA Woodland Heights Medical Center, Lufkin, Texas.
1980 - 1983 Director of Public Relations, Center for the Retarded, Inc., Houston, Texas.
1979 - 1980 Owner, Spenco Communication, Houston.
1977 - 1979 Account Manager, Dale Henderson, Inc., Houston.
1971 - 1977 Public Relations Account Supervisor, Ketchum, MacLeod & Grove, Inc., Houston, Texas.
1969 - 1970 Reporter/ Photographer, Merced Sun-Star, Merced, California
1968 - 1969 Reporter/Photographer, Stockton Record, Stockton, California
1967 - 1968 Reporter/Photographer & Student Desk Assistant, Columbia Missourian, Columbia,
Master of Arts, Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas
Bachelor of Journalism, University of Missouri at Columbia