Mass Media Degree, Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science
The mass media industry is constantly evolving due to technological improvements and changing societal expectations. The Mass Media degree at Stephen F. Austin State University address those technological improvements and is designed to explore the societal changes that place expectations and pressures on the media industry to produce programming that meets the needs of a 21st century audience and work force.
The rapidly changing media landscape from a technological and societal perspective demonstrates a need for training and concentrated understanding. Our program at SFA is designed for students who wish to become professionals in all aspects of the mass media industry. Students choosing to major in this program will be those who wish to pursue careers in fields that are both traditional media and new media technology fields.
These careers include: radio, television, journalism, photojournalism, advertising, public relations, social media, and other emerging online media technologies. Particularly, students choosing to major in this program would be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to write effectively across a variety of platforms appropriate to the discipline.
- Gather, organize and analyze discipline-appropriate research and communicate informtion about it.
- Understand the role of media in society.
- Comprehend legal and ethical principles to media.
- Demonstrate the application of media technology, terminology, and techniques.
Advising Worksheet for Mass Media
Use the following worksheet with your academic adviser to plan your path toward a degree in Mass Media.