For all students, freshmen to seniors, advising is a required step toward your graduation. Advising typically occurs early in the semester before early registration begins. For first semester freshmen, advising is done either during the summer orientation sessions or by contacting the Liberal Applied Arts & Sciences Academic & Career Advising office. They are located in the Ferguson building, Room 291 or may be reached at 936-468-2205.
All students are required to be advised. An advising hold status is automatically placed on each registered student and is not removed until advising has taken place.
Students with less than 45 hours
Students who have declared a major in the College and have earned fewer than 45 semester credit hours should contact the Academic & Career Advising Office for academic advising.
Students with more than 45 hours
For students that have earned more than 45 semester credit hours, advising is done by your primary department professor. Again, advising should be done early in the semester before registration begins. Your advising professor will start the process of creating your Plan of Study. This form helps to guide you through the process making sure you stay on track for graduation.
Simply contact our department by calling 936-468-4001. We would be glad to set up an advising session for you.
IMPORTANT: Students working toward a BA or BS in Mass Media starting fall 2012 should print and complete the following Advising Worksheet prior to meeting with your academic advisor. This worksheet applies only to students working toward a BA or BS in Mass Media.
BA Mass Media-Advising Worksheet (PDF)
Between one to two semesters before graduationBetween one to two semesters before graduation
- Advisor and student agree graduation is within a semester or two.
- Student goes to Registrar's Office to request a 'Graduation Audit' *(date appropriate)
- LAA Academic & Career Advising Office forwards names of graduation candidates and to the Chair/designated advisor.
- The Chair/designated advisor contacts student for graduation advising session…also to update Plan of Study and complete Intent to Graduate form.
- The Chair/designated graduation advisor within the department updates and signs the Plan of Study and complete Intent to Graduate forms. Both are sent to to the LAA Academic & Career Advising Office.
- If there are no academic issues, LAA Academic & Career Advising Office will forward both the student Plan of Study and Intent forms to the Graduation Office. This action officially places the student's name on the graduation list for the appropriate term.
*Dates to request a graduation audit:
· May 2013 Commencement: October 17 - December 1, 2012