For all Mass Media students, freshmen to seniors, advising is a required step toward your graduation. Advising typically starts about a month before early registration begins.
All students are required to be advised. An advising hold status is automatically placed on each registered student and is not removed until advising has taken place.Advising is done by your primary department professor. To setup up an advising appointment, contact the Department of Mass Communication by calling (936) 468-4001, or contact your primary professor personally by email, phone or in person. Advising should be done early in the semester before registration begins and is only available by appointment.
Your advising professor will start the process of creating your Plan of Study if you have completed 60 or more credit hours. This signed form helps to guide you through the process making sure you stay on track for graduation.
IMPORTANT: Students working toward a BA or BS in Mass Media starting fall 2012 should print and complete the following Advising Worksheet prior to meeting with your academic advisor. This worksheet applies only to students working toward a BA or BS in Mass Media.
BA Mass Media-Advising Worksheet (PDF)
Between one to two semesters before graduationBetween one to two semesters before graduation
- Advisor and student agree graduation is within a semester or two.
- Student goes to Registrar's Office to request a 'Graduation Audit' the semester before graduation.
- LAA Academic & Career Advising Office forwards names of graduation candidates and to the Chair/designated advisor.
- The Chair/designated graduation advisor within the department completes Intent to Graduate form.
- If there are no academic issues, LAA Academic & Career Advising Office will forward both the student Plan of Study and Intent forms to the Graduation Office. This action officially places the student's name on the graduation list for the appropriate term.
*Dates to request a graduation audit:
· May Commencement: Applications taken Sept. 15 through Nov. 15.
· August Commencement: Applications taken Jan. 2 through March 2.
· December Commencement: Applications taken April 1 through June 1.