The Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies degree offers students an opportunity to create individualized majors that draw courses from several departments at SFA. These individualized majors are distinguished from double majors in that the area of overlap between the two or more traditional disciplines is a core part of the B.A. in Liberal Studies program.
Students who are interested in designing an individualized program of study are encouraged to meet with the Director of the Multidisciplinary Programs to discuss their interests. The possible areas of study are limited only by the courses taught at SFA; among the many possibilities are African Studies, Law and Society, Philosophy and Politics, Psychobiology or Art and Society. Alumni of this program have gone on to work in such fields as human resources, the oil industry, and public service, or have pursued graduate degrees at such institutions as the Bush School of Government and Public Service. Students who seek admission to the Liberal Studies program should have completed at least 24 semester credit hours at the time of application. A short essay outlining the course of study, approved by at least two members of the regular faculty, is required.
1. Core Curriculum Requirements (45-49 hours)
A. Communication (12-14 hours)
(1) Six hours from: ENG 131, 132, 133, 235
(2) Six to eight hours from: Proficiency in a modern foreign language through Stephen F. Austin State
University's 132 courses, or two semesters of any single language. Students may satisfy this requirement
with two semesters of American Sign Language. This is required of students in both the Bachelor of Arts Liberal Studies program and the Bachelor of Arts Social Studies Teaching Sequence.
B. Mathematics (3-5 hours)
Three to five hours from: MTH 110, 133, 138, 139, 140, 143, 144, 220, 233, 234
C. Natural Sciences (6-8 hours) (Lab Required)
Six to eight hours from: BIO 121, 123, 131, 133, 225, 238; CHE 111, 112, 133, 134; GOL 131, 132;
PHY 101, 102, 110, 118, 131, 132, 241, 242; AST 105, ENV 110
D. Humanities & Visual & Performing Arts (6 hours)
(1) Three hours from: ART 280, 281, 282; MUS 140; MHL 245; THR 161, 370; DAN 140, 341
(2) Three hours from: ENG 200-235, 300; PHI 153, 223; HIS 151, 152
E. Social & Behavioral Sciences (15 hours)
(1) Six hours from: HIS 133, 134
(2) Six hours from: PSC 141, 142 (3) Three hours from: ANT 231; ECO 231, 232; GEO 131, 230; PSY 133, 153; SOC 137, 139
2. College Requirements:
A. Foreign Language proficiency through SFA's 232;
2 additional semesters of same language as A-2 above including American Sign Language. This requirement applies only to those students pursuing the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies.
B. Three additional semester hours from: ENG 200-235, 300
C. Three additional semester hours from: COM 111; FRE 304; HIS 151, 152; SPA 435, 445; PHI 153, 163, 223
(Students seeking teacher certification should elect COM 111 in this category.)
3. Liberal Studies Concentration (Major) (36-39 hours)
Social Studies Concentration (Major) This curriculum can be found in the catalog under Education, Secondary Certificates.
An approved curriculum of 36-39 credit hours chosen from disciplines or academic departments. No more than 20 credit hours may be from any single discipline. (For purposes of this requirement, academic discipline is distinguished from academic department, e.g., Geography and Sociology count as two distinct disciplines although they are taught within a single department at SFA.) At least 24 of the required credit hours must be upper-division courses (300-499). Each discipline comprising the major must be represented by either (a) 9 credit hours, or (b) 6 upper-division hours. At least half of the upper-division credits must be completed in disciplines within the College of Liberal and Applied Arts, the College of Fine Arts, and the College of Sciences and Mathematics.
4. Minor (18-24 hours)
An academic minor or 2nd major of at least 18, but no more than 24 hours, with at least 9 advanced hours of which at least 6 are completed at SFA. Students completing the Bachelor of Arts in Social Studies Teaching Sequence must choose Secondary Education as their minor program.
5. Undergraduates must complete at least 120 semester credit hours.
6. Forty-two or more semester hours of advanced work (courses numbered 300-499), at least 36 at SFA.
7. A minimum of 42 semester hours in residence at SFA.
8. A grade of C or better is required in each Freshman English course; a C average or better at SFA; a C average in all specified work completed in the academic concentration and the minor field of study. These required averages are based on those courses in each category that are included in the student's official degree plan.
9. Students must complete 9 semester hours of courses designated writing enhanced at SFA.
For more information on the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies degree, please contact:
Dr. Michael J. Martin, Director
Division of Multidisciplinary Programs
P O Box 6082
Nacogdoches, TX. 75962-6082