English Proficiency Requirements
Stephen F. Austin State University offers Conditional Admission pending English proficiency for international students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. This means that you do not need English proficiency to be accepted into an academic program. You do, however, need English proficiency in order to begin your academic studies. English proficiency may be demonstrated in several ways:
- Submission of a passing Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report. The minimum scores required to demonstrate English proficiency are 79 IBT (Internet-Based) and 550 PBT (Paper-Based).*
- Submission of a passing International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score report. The minimum score required to demonstrate English proficiency is band 6.5.*
- Submission of a passing Pearson Test of English (PTE) score report. The minimum score required to demonstrate English proficiency is 53.*
- Successful completion of an academic program (High School, Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate) in the United States within the previous two years prior to beginning studies at SFA.
- Transfer Students - Student has completed the equivalent of ENG 131 and ENG 132 (minimum grade of B in each and verified for transfer credit by SFA), AND Student has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50, AND Student has/will have completed at least 24 semester credit hours at time of transfer.
- Successfully passing our English placement exam upon your arrival to SFA.
All English tests must have been taken within the last 2 years to be considered valid for admission.
If an accepted student fails to demonstrate English proficiency upon their arrival, they will be placed in the appropriate level of our English Language Institute (ELI) and must successfully complete this program prior to beginning their academic program.
Option to complete proficiency through the SFA English Language Program (ELI): Please note that the ELI does not provide beginning English instruction. Students should already possess an intermediate level of English proficiency. To succeed in the ELI program, students should enter with skills equivalent to a score no lower than a 46 on the TOEFL or a 5.5 on the IELTS. Students should be able to comprehend and respond to conversational English, read and comprehend simplified academic texts, and write simple sentences. For most students, a minimum of two years' previous study of English is necessary for success in the program.
* The Graduate Mathematical Sciences program and Performing Artist Certificate program have set their English proficiency requirements at TOEFL 70 iBT/500 pBT, IELTS 6.0, and PTE 48.
Students who have not demonstrated English Proficiency and opt to take the English proficiency exam at SFA will be required to pay $50 upon arrival (unless a test score [TOEFL, IELTS, PTE] is submitted with the application).
Conditional Admission for ELS or TIEP Students!
Students who complete Level 112 at an ELS Center - or - students who complete Level 160 with no grade lower than B (not B-) or Level 150 with no grade lower than A (not A-) at TIEC will meet the English Language requirement.