Stephen F. Austin State University offers Conditional Admission pending English proficiency for international students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. This means that you do not need English proficiency to be accepted into an academic program. You do, however, need English proficiency in order to begin your academic studies. English proficiency may be demonstrated in several ways:
- Submission of a passing Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report. The minimum scores required to demonstrate English proficiency are 79 IBT (Internet-Based) and 550 PBT (Paper-Based).*
- Submission of a passing International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score report. The minimum score required to demonstrate English proficiency is band 6.5.*
- Submission of a passing Pearson Test of English (PTE) score report. The minimum score required to demonstrate English proficiency is 53.*
- Successful completion of an academic program (High School, Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate) in the United States within the previous two years prior to beginning studies at SFA.
- Successfully passing our English placement exam upon your arrival to SFA.
If an accepted student fails to demonstrate English proficiency upon their arrival, they will be placed in the appropriate level of our English Language Institute (ELI) and must successfully complete this program prior to beginning their academic program.
* The Graduate Mathematical Sciences program and Performing Artist Certificate program have set their English proficiency requirements at TOEFL 79 IBT, IELTS 6.0, and PTE 48.
Beginning with Spring 2013 Admissions, students who have not demonstrated English Proficiency and opt to take the English proficiency exam at SFA will be required to pay $50 upon arrival.
Conditional Admission for ELS or TIEP Students!
Students who complete Level 112 at an ELS Center - or - students who complete Level 160 with no grade lower than B (not B-) or Level 150 with no grade lower than A (not A-) at TIEC will meet the English Language requirement.