Stephen F. Austin State University

Study Abroad Students

External Scholarships

There are several scholarships that support study/research abroad. You're encouraged to apply for any awards that you're eligible for.

Here are some ideas of available scholarships. Some programs are only for specific countries or activities. Please read the informaiton on each site thoroughly before applying.

SFA Office of International Programs Scholarship

Don't forget to apply for the OIP Study Abroad Scholarship (this is included in your application packet).

If you qualify for or currently receive financial aid, contact a Financial Aid Counselor at the Office for Financial Aid on campus, to discuss the procedures for applying your SFA financial aid towards your study abroad program costs.

Wisely Study Abroad Scholarship

These awards are made possible through the generosity of the Dorothy Wisely School of Honors Endowment. The School of Honors directs the supervision of the awards. Recipents traveling in Fall or Spring semesters will receive up to $2,000 toward the semester of the stuy abroad trip. Recipients travelling in the Summer I or Summer II semesters will receive up to $1,000 toward the semester of the study abroad trip. Application materials should be submitted to the School of Honors by February 1st. To learn more about the Wisely Study Abroad Scholarships, please visit

Financial Aid

If you are currently receiving or are planning on using financial aid to pay for all or part of your expenses while abroad, go to the Financial Aid Office in order to determine whether aid will transfer to your study abroad program. If you will qualify for financial aid, apply early to ensure the procedures are carried out correctly. This will enable you to receive notification of your award and help you plan for other financial arrangements that you may need to make in order to go abroad.

Please note that there are specific requirements for students who study through an SFA-sponsored program and students who study through another university or a provider program (ISEP, etc). More information about these is noted below.

1. For students studying through an SFA faculty-led program:

To defer payment, students need to have their Financial Aid officer complete the Financial Aid Deferral Form. The complete form has to be attached to the Study Abroad Application. Payment will be deferred up to the aid amount until 10 business days from the date the aid is disbursed. Balance beyond transferable aid remains due on the payment due date. This form does NOT eliminate the requirement to pay the $50 application fee and the program deposit on the regular payment schedule.

2. Or students studying through another university or a provider program (ISEP, etc):

In order to receive financial aid a student must carry a full-time load at the host institution abroad and receive transferable credit for the program toward his or her degree. Credit received on a study abroad program does not have to fulfill major requirements, but can be recognized as elective credits that advance the student towards a degree (i.e., language credits).

In order to receive consideration for financial assistance, you will have to submit to the Financial Aid Office the Study Abroad Concurrent Enrollment Agreement Form. The purpose of this form is to ensure disbursement of the proper amount of financial aid. You will be responsible for paying all program fees at the other institution using the financial aid that is refunded to you by SFA. SFA will not make any payment directly to any other school or provider. You are responsible to provide the host school/program provider with your financial aid award information and disbursement dates. Finally, please keep in mind that typically, it takes three weeks or longer to get all the necessary signatures on a concurrent agreement. Financial aid cannot be disbursed without this signed agreement. Please request the Study Abroad Concurrent Enrollment Agreement Form to your Study Abroad Coordinator.

Once accepted in the study abroad program, your study abroad coordinator will submit your Course Approval Form to the Registrar's Office for your enrollment in a study abroad placeholder course. This placeholder class allows your Financial Aid to disburse and keeps your student status active.

Additional Resources:

Financial Aid for Study Abroad Overview

Financial Aid Myths and Facts