Congratulations on making the decision to further your education! We are pleased that you have been accepted to Stephen F. Austin State University!
IMPORTANT! Please read all of the information in the Pre-Arrival Welcome Packet below so you have all of the information you need before arriving on campus.
We believe that Stephen F. Austin State University (SFA) is a wonderful place to continue your education. At SFA you can get a great college education in a beautiful, small-town Texas environment. We believe that SFA offers international students a number of advantages. We are small enough to be able to offer individual support to our students. Many professors are happy to meet with you one-on-one to discuss your classes. The library offers many tutoring and help sessions where you can study with fellow students. The Office of International Programs provides services such as a bus to the airport each term, a bus each week to take you shopping, and monthly coffee hours and an international friendship program to help you meet new people. You will have the support that you need to be successful at SFA.
With about 13,000 students on campus, you will have lots of opportunities to meet new friends - both Americans and international students. Currently we have about 125 international students from 40 different countries. International students are very active on campus, participating in fashion shows, food festivals and other cultural events.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to helping you to realize your educational goals.
Heather Catton, Director of International Programs
Pre-Arrival Welcome Packet
The Office of International Programs and SFA understand that the transition to a new school and a new culture can be difficult; however, with the right tools and support, our office can help make your transition as easy as possible.
Please read each section carefully -- it is important.
- Welcome Letter - this letter will give you a brief overview of the information you will receive in this packet.
- Spring 2017 Confirmation of Attendance - this form is used to help SFA and the Office of International Programs prepare for you arrival and make accommodations in regards to new student orientation.
- How to Obtain a U.S. Visa - This document provides information on the process for obtaining a U.S. Visa. The information provides in this document will be valuable in scheduling your visa appointment a U.S. embassy/consulate.
For ELI Students
- ELI Student Handbook - this handbook will give you information about ELI Placement, Classroom Procedures, Promotion and Graduation, and overall ELI Policies.
- Spring 2017 Transportation Letter - this letter will provide you with information regarding how and when to register for free transportation to SFA from Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).
- SFA Campus Map - please use this map to help you find your way around your new campus. The office of International Programs in highlighted for you. We are located in the Vera Dugas, Liberal Arts North Building, on the 4th floor, room #402. We look forward to meeting you.
On Campus Housing
- Visit the Residence Life web site for details on how to sign up for housing - http://www.sfasu.edu/life-at-sfa/housing-dining/housing/getting-started. All students younger than 21 years of age or with fewer than 60 transfer credit hours are required to live on campus.
Student Health Information
- Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination Requirement - this letter will further explain the law that was passed by the State of Texas (SB 62) that requires all students who are younger than 22 years of age have a vaccination against bacterial meningitis at least 10 days prior to enrollment at SFA.
- International Student Health Insurance - this document provides details on SFA's health insurance policy for international students.