Stephen F. Austin State University

Employment/SSN/Tax Information

Student Employment

While international students have limitations on where and how many hours they can work, there are many opportunities for employment. F-1 students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week on campus.

Student employment is facilitated online through Human Resources:

* If you are offered a job on campus, you are then eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).

TAXES - If you work, you will be required to file a Tax Return the following year. Tax forms must be postmarked no later than April 15 of each year (information reported will be from the previous tax year - e.g., information due by April 15 2019 is from January 1 - December 31, 2018).

See below for more information on Taxes. EVEN IF YOU DO NOT WORK, YOU MUST FILE A FORM 8843!

Applying for a Social Security Card

Once you have been offered a job on campus, follow these steps to apply for a social security card:

  1. Request a formal hiring letter from your department - please request that this letter be written on department letterhead, including the following details:
    • Job title
    • Start date
    • General description of job duties
  2. Bring hiring letter to OIP and request a Social Security Letter
  3. Return in 24 hours to pick up your letters and go to the Social Security Office in Lufkin, TX to apply for your card.

You must wait at least 10 days after you initially entered the United States to visit the Social Security office.

The Social Security Office is located at 702 East Denman Avenue in Lufkin, TX.

Lufkin is located about 25 miles South of Nacogdoches on Highway 59.

To contact the Social Security Office, please call: (877) 407-3442.

The office is open 9am-3pm from Monday - Friday except on Wednesdays when they close at 12 noon.

The office will close for all Federal holidays.

Be sure to bring the following items with you to the Social Security Office:

More information is available online at


Filing federal income tax forms is the personal responsibility of each international student.

Note: All International students are required to file Form 8843 (see details below) with the IRS each year - regardless of income earned (whether the student worked or not).

Tax forms must be postmarked no later than April 15 of each year (information reported will be from the previous tax year - e.g., information due by April 15 2019 is from January 1 - December 31, 2018).

IF YOU WORKED DURING THE YEAR, YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO FILE A TAX RETURN (Form 1040 NR or 1040 NREZ - these are for NON-RESIDENTS and you MUST use one of these forms).

While we are always happy to help, there are no tax professionals on staff in the OIP Office. If you have questions regarding your taxes, we highly recommend that you speak with a Certified Public Accountant or tax preparer (example: H&R Block).

International students should not use Turbo Tax to prepare their taxes as this program is for U.S. residents only. If you would like to file your taxes through an online system, please consider using Sprintax.

Who Must File Form 8843?

All nonresident aliens present in the U.S. under F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 nonimmigrant status must file Form 8843 "Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition"-even if they received NO income during the tax year. Form 8843 must be filed if an individual is:

What is Form 8843?

Form 8843 is not an income tax return. Form 8843 is merely an informational statement required by the U.S. government for certain nonresident aliens (including the spouses or dependents of nonresident aliens).

Do I Need a Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to File Form 8843?

Generally, no. Nonresident aliens who are not required to file an income tax return (Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ), but who are required to file Form 8843, need not apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If, however, an SSN/ITIN has been assigned, the number must be included on Form 8843.