While international students have limitations on where and how many hours they can work, there are many opportunities for employment. F-1 students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week on campus. Student employment is facilitated online through Human Resources: http://www.sfasu.edu/hr/100.asp
* If you are offered a job on campus, you are then eligible to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).
Applying for a Social Security Card
Once you have been offered a job on campus, follow these steps to apply for a social security card:
- Request a formal hiring letter from your department - please request that this letter be written on department letterhead, including the following details:
- Job title
- Start date
- General description of job duties
- Bring hiring letter to OIP and request a Social Security Letter
- Return in 24 hours to pick up your letters and go to the Social Security Office in Lufkin, TX to apply for your card.
You must wait at least 10 days after you initially entered the United States to visit the Social Security office.
The Social Security Office is located at 702 East Denman Avenue in Lufkin, TX.
Lufkin is located about 25 miles South of Nacogdoches on Highway 59.
To contact the Social Security Office, please call: (877) 407-3442.
The office is open 9am-3pm from Monday - Friday except on Wednesdays when they close at 12 noon.
The office will close for all Federal holidays.
Be sure to bring the following items with you to the Social Security Office:
- Passport and I-94 Card
- Letter from employer
- Social Security letter from OIP
- Have your local mailing address and phone number with you
More information is available online at www.socialsecurity.gov.