ABOUT OUR ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROGRAM
The mission of the English Language Institute (ELI) is to provide non-credit intensive instruction in academic English as a Second Language to international students who want to pursue undergraduate and graduate degrees at Stephen F. Austin State University and to other non-native speakers who desire to improve their English for personal or professional reasons. To achieve this mission ELI offers students curriculum and activities necessary to succeed in an American university, supportive student services, and quality instruction and program administration.
The SFA English Language Institute is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) and agrees to uphold the CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions. CEA is a national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education. For further information visit www.cea-accredit.org.
We are also a member in good standing of English USA.
- High-quality classes. ELI intensive English classes are taught by experienced ESL instructors with advanced degrees in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL), or related fields. The program provides ample opportunities for students to improve their spoken and written English through classroom work, and interactions with American university students, students from many different countries, and community members.
- Small class sizes. All ELI classes have less than 10 students, which allows teachers to get to know you as a person, not only as a student. In our small classes students receive more individualized attention, and are exposed to English language more through interaction with the teacher. It also allows teachers to use various instructional approaches that increase student productivity in classes
- Low cost of study and living. ELI is proud to have one of the most affordable English programs in the area. Our students enjoy low cost of study and living. You will be given a variety of meal plan choices available for on-campus eating. Please, visit our Cost of Study page to estimate the program cost.
- No TOEFL scores required. Unlike many American universities, SFA's ELI does not use TOEFL scores as the main criterion for admission. No additional language test scores are needed, although basic English knowledge and familiarity with the alphabet are required.
- Easy transition to academic SFA programs. Students who successfully complete the program of study at ELI may be granted admission into regular academic programs at SFA if other entrance requirements are met.
- Academic and cultural preparation. The focus of our program is on academic English, but students develop conversational skills as well. In addition to the language skills required for academic success, ELI also prepares students culturally for life as a college student in the United States. ELI arranges outings to museums, historic sites, and other interesting cultural sites around the area. In coordination with the International Student Association, ELI encourages students to attend cultural events on campus, including dance nights, food festivals, and fashion shows.
Students enroll for a full 13 or 14-week term during either of the regular academic semesters - Fall (late-August through mid-December), or Spring (mid-January to early May).
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE IN OUR BROCHURE! DOWNLOAD THE BROCHURE.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A SHORT VERSION OF THE BROCHURE.