Disposition of Abandoned Personal Property (D-9)
Original Implementation: October 18, 1988
Last Revision: January 31, 2012
Lost property means any unclaimed personal property coming into the possession of the university, other than motor vehicles as defined in the Texas Transportation Code. Lost property shall be deemed abandoned if the rightful owner does not come forth and make a valid claim within ninety (90) days of the university's original possession.
Unless the abandoned property is being held as evidence to be used in a pending criminal case, the university may dispose of the abandoned property by public auction. The profits of the auction shall be used for student service activities as directed by the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs. However, if the rightful owner makes a valid claim to abandoned property before auction, then the university shall return the property to the rightful owner.
REPORTING OR CLAIMING ABANDONED PERSONAL PROPERTY
Any individual finding lost property on the university campus or seeking to claim lost property should follow the guidelines listed below.
- A person finding lost or unclaimed property should turn in said property at the University Police Department or the information desk in the student center. Lost or unclaimed property found in Steen Library should be turned in to the circulation desk on the first floor. Lost or unclaimed property found in academic buildings should be turned in to the appropriate departmental office. Lost or unclaimed bicycles or other bulky items are stored in the University Police Department.
- A written "Record of Unclaimed Personal Property" form indicating the date the lost or unclaimed property came into the university's possession shall be completed and retained by the receiving department.
- After fifteen (15) days, all unclaimed property held in the University Police Department, in Steen Library, or in other campus areas such as departmental offices, shall be transferred to the student center information desk with the record indicating the date of receipt of the unclaimed property.
- Lost items may be claimed at the student center information desk upon presentation of reasonable identification of the lost property.
- A public auction is held annually under the direction of the dean of student affairs at a time and place announced during each academic year.
Cross Reference: Tex. Educ. Code § 51.213
Responsible for Implementation: Vice President for University Affairs
Contact for Revision: Dean of Student Affairs
Forms: Record of Unclaimed Personal Property (available in University Printing Services)
Board Committee Assignment: Academic and Student Affairs