Regents Professor (A-38)
Original Implementation: October, 1979
Last Revision: January 29, 2013
The title of Regents Professor is the highest honor that the university may bestow upon a member of the faculty. The honor is reserved for faculty members who are exemplary role models to the university community. The title of Regents Professor is not an academic rank and is held for one academic year.
- Only tenured full professors are eligible for nomination. They must have served a minimum of ten years at Stephen F. Austin State University, have been in rank for a minimum of five years, and shall remain on active service during the academic year of the award. Previous recipients of the award are ineligible.
- Faculty members are nominated on the basis of extraordinary merit in teaching, research/scholarly/creative accomplishment, and service. Evidence of exceptional performance must exist in each category.
- A letter of nomination may be submitted by any tenured member of the faculty to the provost and vice president for academic affairs.
- Upon acceptance of a nomination, the nominee must prepare a dossier that includes: a current curriculum vitae, evidence of exceptional teaching, evidence of exceptional research/scholarly/creative accomplishment, and evidence of exceptional service.
- The provost appoints a review panel of six from the ranks of former Regents Professors and deans, with attention to disciplinary balance. The review panel shall examine the dossiers independently and vote by anonymous ballot.
- The provost shall receive the ballots from the panel and, on the basis of the input, decide whether to recommend a single nominee or none at all to the Board of Regents, through the president.
- The designation as Regents Professor may be made only by the Board of Regents.
- The recipient is awarded a Regents medallion and receives a stipend.
- The Regents Professor shall provide a public lecture scheduled through the University Lecture Committee.
Cross Reference: None
Responsible for Implementation: Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Contact for Revision: Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Board Committee Assignment: Academic and Student Affairs