Second Baccalaureate Degrees (A-73)
Original Implementation: January 25, 2010
Last Revision: January 29, 2013
Stephen F. Austin State University (SFA) is committed to facilitating the timely completion of academic degrees and providing opportunities to achieve second degrees at the bachelor level.
Students may receive a second baccalaureate degree from SFA after being conferred a first baccalaureate degree. Students who received the first baccalaureate degree from SFA must reapply for admission to the university for the second degree.
The following conditions apply to a second baccalaureate degree:
- Students must earn a minimum of 30 semester hours in addition to the hours required for the first degree.
- Students must satisfy all prerequisites, co-requisites, and major requirements for the second degree program.
- Students may apply up to 12 hours in transfer credit.
- Students seeking a second bachelor's degree requiring a minor may use the major completed in the first bachelor's degree in lieu of a minor.
- At the discretion of the major advisor or academic unit head, courses completed successfully in the first bachelor’s degree may be applied to the requirements for the second bachelor’s degree.
Students who hold a baccalaureate degree from another accredited institution may earn a second baccalaureate degree at SFA by meeting the following requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours at SFA with at least 15 hours taken in the major field at the 300 level or above.
- Meet all prerequisite and course requirements in the major field and degree requirements for the second baccalaureate degree program.
- Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher in coursework that applies to the degree program.
- Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher in all coursework at SFA that applies to the second bachelor degree.
Cross Reference: None
Responsible for Implementation: Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Contact for Revision: Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Board Committee Assignment: Academic and Student Affairs