Skating and Skateboarding (D-32)
Original Implementation: January 24, 1989
Last Revision: January 29, 2013
The purpose of this regulation is to establish guidelines governing the use of skateboards, rollerblades, or other types of skating apparatuses.
- Skateboard – a non-motorized device where two or more wheels are attached to a platform upon which the rider stands.
- Rollerblades – shoe or device that attaches to a shoe, having one or more sets of wheels.
- Persons choosing to ride a skateboard or use rollerblades may do so as a means of transportation only on sidewalks while on the university campus.
- Persons riding a skateboard or rollerblades shall keep all of the wheels on the ground while operating them as a means of transportation. At no time shall a rider perform any stunts or acts that could be deemed as stunts, or act in a way that impedes pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks.
- The rider shall refrain from using a skateboard or rollerblades on any public street, parking garage facility, Homer Bryce Stadium, Johnson Coliseum, or in any building.
- Persons riding a skateboard or rollerblades shall yield the right of way to all pedestrians, motorized vehicles, and bicycles.
- Persons riding a skateboard or rollerblades shall not ride in or around any areas of construction on the university campus.
- Events that have been prearranged, with proper facility reservations, approval from the University Police Department, and under the direct supervision of the Campus Recreation Department, such as skateboarding club or rollerblading club practices and competitions, are not subject to these regulations.
Any person who violates all or part of this policy may be subject to disciplinary actions through the university and an order to immediately remove the skateboard or rollerblades from the university campus.
Cross Reference: Parking and Traffic Regulations (D-24), as related to bicycles
Responsible for Implementation: Vice President for University Affairs
Contact for Revision: Chief of University Police
Board Committee Assignment: Building and Grounds